• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New RADAR/Chartplotter

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

New RADAR/Chartplotter

Post by Denis »

I think I might upgrade my RADAR and my chartplotter this winter. I am thinking about a Raymarine E-80. It should fit in the location I want and I was wondering if anyone has one of these units and can give me their opinion. I am going to leave my present three year old Garmin chartplotter unit for a backup but my RADAR is 15 year old technology and it is time to go. I recently took a ten day trip and the day we left was very think fog. The old display on the RADAR left a little to be desired and after staring at it for six hours I was worn out. Anyone with any thoughts? Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Donya
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham

Post by Donya »

I have used both C-80 and C-120, I found the 80 to be a bit small if used in the split screen mode. We ran about 80mi last week in dense fog, some of it in narrow channels, at 12kts quite comfortably.
Don and Taunya
2003 28TE -Dog On It-
Commodore Bellingham Wheel and Keel
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Dennis, I have a C-120 and I'm very happy with it. Have the 2KW dome and Navionics charts. Being able to overlay the radar data onto the chartplotter is very helpful. I'm still learning to use alot of the features like setting up guard zones, target tracking and gain settings to tweak the returns. Good luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I have dual RayMarine stations built around E-120s. I love it. In addition to the radar overlay, you can also network in an autopilot, which is really a great feature.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking about the E-80 because of the smaller size of the display. I know bigger is better but I really dont' know where I would put such a large display on my 28. I have the overhead box where all my electronics are stored and that seems to be pretty good, it's close but not in the way visually. Where would I put such a large display as the 120?
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

My boat is a 36 ET. The 120s are the perfect size on Blue Moon. I tend to agree that they might be too big for the 28. But more to the point, if you can afford it, I'd go with the E series rather than the C series because of the ability to network in the other Raymarine electronics like the autopilot and depth sounder. I think the networking capability is really the greatest breakthrough in the past 5 years.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
hjonas
Mate
Mate

Radar/chartplotter

Post by hjonas »

I have a C-120 plus wind instrument and auto pilot on my console in front of the wheel. If you would like to see a photo please let me know.

Hank Jonas
TE-28 (2004)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I believe the C series units can still have other instruments connected to them, it's just that you can only have one display. I would verify this before purchasing a unit. It would be a shame to spend the extra money for an E series when all you need is a C. The price difference is quite large, as I recall.

And for the record, although we're still working with the old HSB2 series units, I absolutely LOVE Raymarine's products. They are bulletproof and quite functional. Garmin tends to make their units a little more "user friendly", but I prefer the extreme scalability and functionality of Raymarine. And once you get used to the Raymarine system, it's pretty easy to work with. Also, I believe they've vastly improved the ease of use in the new units. I found them very intuitive when I played with them a little at the boat show.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

really dont' know where I would put such a large display on

Post by Maye Marie »

Denis,
I have a 2001 28 with a C 120 close to you at Mystic River Marina, if you would like to take a look. I also have some pics on helms too on this sight. Would be glad to meet up with you.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Gosh, I don't even remember what it's like to have to look at seperate radar and chartplotter displays. The radar overlay feature on our Raymarine is WONDERFUL.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

that you can only have one display

Post by Maye Marie »

The C120 is same features as the E as far as multiple units or displays and accessories go. The difference would be the E is 3d capable and the C is not. The E will have a sharper screen and will show a little more definition on the 300 fish finder. Lots more money to buy and more money for the up graded nav chips you will buy each year. Add the weather option on and more money than the same option for the C again. If my budget was saying buy a smaller screen E or a bigger screen C I would go with the C. I think the bigger screen is priority and worth doing. If you run bad weather or night you will run split screen radar and chart. It’s nice to have the extra size.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Maye Marie, I would love to see your boat and how your electronics fit. I did not know you were so close, I am at Mystic Shipyard East. Looks like this weekend will be a wash out but maybe we can set it up for a better weekend? Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

New nav charts every year!?!?!??!? LOL! Good god, are you made of money or something?
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Re: New RADAR/Chartplotter

Post by craw_daddy »

I have the C80 & think it is a good size for the helm area. It is mounted to a SS rod that spans the hard top inside the cockpit forward of the helm. Ialso have the depthfinder & RADAR options to go along with the GPS & plotter. I think Raymarine makes the best sonar units, but like the Furuno RADAR a little better than the Raymarine RADAR. The all-in-one C (or E) package with the common display works very well for me.
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: New RADAR/Chartplotter

Post by RobS »

craw_daddy wrote:It is mounted to a SS rod that spans the hard top inside the cockpit forward of the helm
Sounds different - any pics?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Electronics”