• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Test run?

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Test run?

Post by jms02050 »

I'm located in the Boston area and I'm really interested in a 28TE. Been on them at boat shows, researched them, like what I read and see... problem is I've never driven or ridden one. I got a list of 28s to look at locally (RI), but I can't seem to find a broker who'll take me for a demo/test ride. Insurance issues, etc.

So... is anybody in the Boston area interested in giving an Albin 28 fan a ride in exchange for a beer?

-Jim
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Feel like taking a ride to the Cape?
I'm in Falmouth. I'd be happy to go for a spin.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm surprised to hear that a broker won't take you for a test ride. I've never encountered this. I did deal once with a broker who insisted that we hire a professional captain, which we begrudgingly did. I can understand with the high cost of fuel these days they may be less inclined to take people on sea trials who they judge to be less than serious buyers, but still, if you're a serious buyer, a sea trial is a given. It's their primary sales tool to get you to fall in love with the boat and make an offer.

I wouldn't do business with anyone who won't let you do a sea trial. If they insist on an offer up front, make sure it is one that you can get out of with no penalty immediately upon conclusion of the sea trial. And obviously, no matter what, you will exercise that contingency, even if you do want to buy the boat, just so you can then bargain from a stronger position.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

they say it's an insurance issue

Post by jms02050 »

2 different brokers said they couldn't do demo's b/c of liability. I think that's bs, but you never know. This past weekend a broker wanted me to sign a form stating that I would be responsible for any damage if I started the engine on a 28... not take a ride, just start the engine. Needless to say, I walked.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Around here you can't take a test ride unless an offer is written and you put up a deposit. I've done it a couple of times but it does take a week or so for the credit to appear. (I always used a credit card or bank card)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

I'm in Portsmouth, NH and I'll take you for a spin. I about to put my 2002 28TE on the market, so you'll be riding in quite an boat. It's absolutely beautiful and its in showroom condition! E-mail me here and we'll set it up.
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Test Run

Post by JoeH »

Jim,

Be happy to give you a ride. I'm located in Scituate. Gve me a call.

781 545-2768.

Joe H
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

jcollins wrote:Around here you can't take a test ride unless an offer is written and you put up a deposit. I've done it a couple of times but it does take a week or so for the credit to appear. (I always used a credit card or bank card)
Amazing. Here it's usually as simple as taking a car for a test drive, except that you typically have to make an appointment in advance, and obviously they don't take you for a very long ride unless they judge you to be pretty serious.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”