• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LPA Adjusting the Clutch Cable

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Yanmar 6LPA Adjusting the Clutch Cable

Post by joe.baar »

On page 42 item 5 the Yanmar owners' manual says "If the position of the clutch lever is incorrect, loosen the setting screw of the cable bracket and adjust the position of the cable."

I have the Morse clutch/throttle controller with the red-knob throttle lever outboard and the black-knob clutch lever inboard. The clutch lever will no longer quite engage the "ahead" detent, it lacks about 1/16" of throw. Neutral and reverse are fine. The clutch does operate in "ahead" but engine rpms back off slowly after I bring it up to a speed and I need to keep hand pressure on the throttle to remain at the same rpms.

I can't understand the manual (no diagram) well enough to tell which screw of the several choices is the "setting screw of the cable bracket". The clutch cable sleeve end is fastened to a bracket with nuts top and bottom of a "u" clamp. What looks like an adjusting nut is at the far end of the cable but I couldn't get a wrench in to back it off due to much interference from hoses. Then there's a whole separate linkage about 8" long with adjusting nuts just outboard of that, ending in a large (maybe 5/8") rusty nut just below where the cable sleeve from the controller is clamped off.

Is this fatal? Any hints? Thanks very much.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Albin Maintenance”