• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

air condition in the pilot house 31 TE

duckbofetch
Deckhand
Deckhand

air condition in the pilot house 31 TE

Post by duckbofetch »

i have a large a/c unit in the cabin and would like to tap into existing duct and bring up to pilot house. has anyone done this and where would the duct run
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

For what it's worth!

Post by Pitou »

Having an oversized AC/reverse cycle in my 28TE I looked at doing the same thing. Attached is a link to Ocean Options who provided the units for many of the late model ALBINS. They have Y kits, duct work for additional locations, circular louver controls and thermostats. Give them a call and have your AC unit info handy.

I visited their booth at the Boston Show this past January and was discouraged from doing this by them as my unit could not accept a second control/thermostat which technically would be placed in the pilot house. The worry was, as the cabin cooled the t-stat would shut the unit off not allowing for the pilot house to fully cool (lots of windows/lots of sun). Or by just running the louver in the pilot house the cabin would not cool causing a continual running situation and freezing of the unit. I felt I could balance the flow for my minimal usage.

For me other things rose to the top this year and this project got pushed out. Always a helpful hint never set an AC unit below 70 or 72 and freezing should not occur.

Best of luck as I am sure something can be done.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I can see the argument for not doing it, but if you're just looking for it to provide a blast of cool air in your face on a hot day, I don't see a problem. I would install a Y with a valve that will allow it to go one way or the other, not both at the same time. So, you're either heating the cabin or the pilothouse, not both at the same time. And maybe if you locate the thermostat somewhere close to the companionway, it will sort of function properly in either situation. Hard to say. Again, it's really about understanding it. If you tap in and route a vent to the pilothouse, just be aware of when it's running, and make sure it's not being overworked. Just keeping an eye on it and using some common sense should keep it safe.
henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

31 te ac to pilot house

Post by henry robertson »

my 1996 31 te has a ac duct in the pilot house it is to small --4 '' and comes up behind the sink---routed under head cabnets should be easy install--use largest hose you can
i added a small 12v square fan to pull more air== helped till outside temp gets over 80
the greenhouse effect down here is bad so i am looking for path for second larger vent
henry
henry
albin 31

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”