• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Long Island South Shore Get Together

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Long Island South Shore Get Together

Post by RobS »

I know Gery (gerygarcia) and Matt (mhanna) and myself have mentioned a mini reendezvous this summer. I think Watch Hill on Fire Island would suite well since they do offer the reservations unlike Davis Park that is 100% on a 1st come basis. Brian (Elizabeth Ann) is in the area too but he is fulltime in Miami and partime in Babylon but the Albin is in Babylon so if he's around I'm sure he'd meet up.

Anyone else interested?

Any other location ideas?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Get together

Post by RicM »

When are you thinking of? Karen has changed her idea for our September vacation to possibly be Montauk.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Would like to get together. As of right now the weekend of 7/19 looks ok. I need to check with the boss but I think its ok... the 2 weekends after are booked, but there is nothing wrong with August too ....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi All.

I'm interested, but as Rob said I'm all over the place. In fact most of July has me flying back and forth between Miami and British Columbia. I'd say plan w/o me and if I can make it I will. Otherwise I'm not EXPECTED back in Babylon till mid-August....there's always an outside chance of an impromptu 3-day weekend ;)

I'd event vote for a raft up in Great River.

Cheers.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Some of my vacation plans have been scrapped for the time being :(
A family matter has me going to Florida during the time I had scheduled to be going to the east end. Montauk will have to wait for later this season, but I think Greenport is still possible after the Holiday weekend.

On another note
We should definately get together!!
August is wide open for me as of right now.

July 19th might be good for a Saturday trip to Great River and anchoring for the day. How many Albins can we get raft up in a line! Or possibly Watch Hill overnight
Let me know. :wink: We are definately game! Yesterday I modded the map table to accomodate the little one ala car seat rig.
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I like that idea Gery..
Here is the lik to WatchHill reservations You can only make them the day of......

http://www.watchhillfi.com/marina-reservations.html

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

mhanna wrote:I like that idea Gery..
Here is the lik to WatchHill reservations You can only make them the day of......

http://www.watchhillfi.com/marina-reservations.html

Matt
Thanks Matt - I did not realize it was only same day reservations, that stinks. If it's only three boats I doubt we'd have a problem but it would be nice to know we have 3 slips in row. Let me see if I can do the 19th, give me a couple days on that. What's preferred - raft up in Great River or the marina at Watch Hill?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Curious - Never been up Great River - is it no wake all the way or just in parts?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

RobS wrote:Curious - Never been up Great River - is it no wake all the way or just in parts?
Here are some pics from back in 2004

Once you get further into the river, it becomes a no wake zone. On a good day it gets pretty packed.
Rafting is very popular there since it is pretty calm (for the most part). I've overnighted once there, but haven't done it again because I was paranoid about going adrift while I was sleeping. Probably could solve this with another anchor as a backup :?
Most of the overnighters are sailboats, usually rafted with 4 or more others from thier sailing clubs.

It's not very deep and the bottom is mud. I've venutured further up the river and didn't like the prospects of running aground and getting stuck, so it's safe during high tide and chancy during low tide.

If you anchor where most of the other boats are, you should be safe.
I personally think is one of the great places on the Great South Bay for a daytrip anchoring. Great to watch other boats go by and have lunch/dinner then take a nice slow trip home. Very peaceful and relaxing and you spend all of the time on your boat and or rafts/kayaks.

I've seen other Albins there - at the most there were 4 A28s all anchored in different positions. Said hello from afar but sad to say haven't had any close conversations with the other owners.
Resolution 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the info & pictures. Lokks like a perfect raft-up location. Look forward to checking it out this season. Nice Whaler - looks familiar. We had one, a 1988 27' FC that was re-powered (not by us) with a pair of 6LP Yanmars. Here it is at Champlin's in Block Island in 2003.

That boat is how I became so familiar with the Yanmar valve issues. We had the valve noise in one of the engines and this was when the magnitude of the issue throughout this era of engines was just being realized. Awesome boat though, closest boat to the 28TE I can think of in ride and cabin room. No where near the cockpit of the TE. The 6LP's were too much power, should have had the 4 cylinders. The boat was doing well over 30knots when you got into cruising rpms and the hull lost it's stability.

BTW, I assume that is Resolution. What is mounted on your cabin deck just aft of the hatch?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Yes,
That's Resolution. The thing aft of the hatch is an air circulator to keep the cabin from getting hot, run by solar panel. It hasn't worked in the past couple years. I think it needs a new supporting battery. Just haven't had time to investigate. :roll:

That 27 has been with my family for many years. My father bought it and had it down in Florida for many years. I've taken it to Bimini Bahamas one time with my brother in law and another friend. It was the trip from hell. But that's a story to be told over a couple cold ones. It made its way back to Long Island. It eventually was taken over by my sister and brother and law, repowered with Yamahas - its a rocket, alot of custom woodwork, small trunk cabin and hardtop. When my sister bought another boat it went back to my father. He uses it alot to fish on the bay to this day. It's a one of kind sweet (now) boat. It's name is Springer. Karen Ann looked like a nice one also!
Resolution 28TE
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I have a friend who has a 30' Grady Sailfish way up Great river. You have to know your way around when you go further up but most of the way is marked and deep enough.
I am sending this while at Watch Hill. Its a great day but the marina is full and will probably stay this way till Sunday. I called yesterday morning for a reservation and they told me no reservations were available but that there where several open slips. We gave it a shot and we are in.

Happy 4th to all !!!

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

:shock: Have fun - it should be an amazing weekend!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

We are open for July 19th.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Sorry for the delay in getting back, the 19th it is. Can we do Watch Hill ? I will even be trying to get there the day before if I can get out sooner.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Cruising”