• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat Fire

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Boat Fire

Post by chiefrcd »

Boat Fire Video- These two guys in the boat are amazing. You have to sit through a quick commercial but it's worth it.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/ ... geId=1.1.1
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Having lost our last boat to a marina fire, that video really hit home for me.

Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the pictures:
http://www.piercefire.org/pcfd5/photo_gallary.htm
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
<sigh> I would guess at this point you could say some good came out of it, but that is a sad sight.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yeah, we got a new boat, but it wasn't cheap.
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

marina fire

Post by AlMar »

Was there ever a conclusion of what the cause was of that inferno? Does the city have a fireboat?
AlMar
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The city does not have a fireboat, which is an issue that was painfully clear just yesterday when a VERY small fire broke out on a wooden pier next to our marina. The fire department showed up and put the fire out, but needed to inspect the pier from underneath but was unable to do it as they do not have a boat. The police department has a small inflatable, but does not man it during the week. Fortunately, I was nearby and picked up the firefighters in my Whaler and took them under the pier to inspect it. It appeared as though someone had simply dropped a cigarette on the timbers and it had lodged between a couple of them and smoldered for hours before finally starting a small fire. The entire burned area was no more than a foot or two in diameter. Fortunately because of the firefighter's quick response and my ability to help them access the underside of the pier, a much larger blaze was avoided.

Mum's the word as to a specific cause of the big marina fire, but we know it didn't start as a carelessly tossed cigarette butt. Basically, we know that a newly arrived boat in the marina was undergoing repairs and exploded at about 7am on a weekday morning. All the evidence was burned so there's not much more that can be determined beyond that, but the general concensus is that gasoline leaked into the bilge and at some point a spark ignited it. The fire started as a very large explosion, we know that much. The initial explosion blasted the top off the first boat and immediately set the boat next to it (ours) on fire. The initial blast damaged the metal roof overhead, knocked our dinghy off the swimstep and blew out the windows on our port side. From there, the burning gasoline, diesel and our propane tank served to fuel the fire in the covered marina fast enough that it spread to neighboring boats in a matter of minutes. After that it was just like a set of dominos. Each boat catching fire quickly, and those with gasoline and propane tanks exploding. In the video you can see boats simply bursting into flames from the sheer heat, even though no flames are visible nearby. It's a very sad thing to watch, especially since there were some very beautiful classic wooden boats in the marina.

Return to “General Discussion”