• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Switching from AGM to Lead Acid batteries in 32+2, danger?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bob_Lee
Mate
Mate

Switching from AGM to Lead Acid batteries in 32+2, danger?

Post by Bob_Lee »

When I hauled last fall, the 8G4D, the 8G8D and the C31XH-2 batteries were all fully charged, so they sat all winter in the boat, a 2001 32+2.
Now I discover that all are TU and will not take a charge.
I about fell over with the $1,500 quote from Jamestown for 3 AGM replacements.
The 4D and the 8D are below the cabin floor forward of the tranny.
If I change to Lead Acid is there a danger from outgassing hydrogen?
It seems maintenance and adding water would be an issue as well, since all the caps are not accessable. But the savings of close to $800 is pretty compelling.
Any 32+2 owners switch from AGM batteries?
A PFD is always in style
If you fall in the water
And swim for a mile
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Bob -

If you can't service the flooded lead acid batteries, they will die fast and make the $800 difference irrelevant. If I understand that your boat came with all AGM batteries in 2001, 7 years service life is not bad and probably worth the worry-free investment. If your batteries ARE accessible to water them (without so much trouble that will discourage regular maintenance), flooded cells are still a way better value in cost and performance over AGM.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I had the same sticker shock last year. I was going to change from lead acid to AGM but at double the cost I decided to stay with lead acid.

Just remember to check your battery charger if you return to lead acid. Most have a switch to change battery types.

I had the thought of changing just my house battery to AGM. It is very difficult to get at for service. However, you cannot mix different battery types on the same charger. So that theory went out the window too.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

The batterys on a 32+2 are in a really nasty spot. I have gel cells in mine. They have lasted 9 years but I think they are finally on their way out. I will bite the bullet & get the no maintenance AGMs.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”