• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Medicine Cabinet Door & Bathroom Ceiling Light

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Medicine Cabinet Door & Bathroom Ceiling Light

Post by RobS »

This is kinda funny yet pathetic. Over the winter during my numerous visits to the boat for some freezing solitude and tinkering I was addressing the bathroom ceiling light with the missing lens. The local marine outfitter had a nice waterproof int/ext fixture so I decided to replace the entire fixture and keep the original one as a spare for the main cabin so it would match the others in case one needed replacement. The bathroom one didn’t need to match the others exactly and being waterproof is a good idea since the bathroom is actually a make-shift shower.

The replacement fixture was identical in size, both diameter and height. Job done – simple enough.

During a later visit to the boat I brought my multi-meter with me (same one Ric has from Radio Shack) so I could figure out what is what as far as 12v and switches since I would soon be installing a digital depth gauge so I would label the proper 12v source. I open the medicine cabinet door and “clunk” it hits the lens on the ceiling fixture :shock: . I measure the fixture again and double check that it hasn’t grown since I installed it :D . I check the medicine cabinet door hinges and verify that they are in their original screw holes and have not been moved, and they have not.

Conclusion: Between the dealer delivering the boat, the original owner (who surely paid over $100K) and the 2nd owner, nobody cared enough in 6 or 7 seasons and simply accepted this. 10 minutes of sliding the door down the hinges a quarter of an inch and re-screwing and the problem was history. Pretty pathetic in my opinion.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

From another thread

Post by RicM »

This is from the thread on windshield wipers, it applies here as well...
RicM wrote:Not that it matters now, but that's a classic illustration of isolation of management (Cos Cob CT), the workforce (Portsmouth RI), and the end user (due to general lack of return communication from the first 2 parties). The attitude that the customer was just a PITA was very prevalent mid to late 20th century in US management and workforce, which is one of the reasons why the auto companies, airlines and a lot of other industries have died, are dying, or moved off shore. If Albin had been sold to new owners with a lean mean management team that was looking ahead about 10 years ago I bet it would still be going strong today. It's a relatively "green" (fuel efficient) design, eclectic styling (the Volvo or Saab of the ocean) and plucky personality could have positioned for success when other boat companies would be headed south.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Maybe the lens was not "missing" maybe that was the way the dealt with the door swing.....pathetic...yes

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Exactly right Matt, that was my point - remove the lense instead of sliding the door a qtr inch down on the hinges. That made it passed the factory, the dealer and 2 owners.... pathetic for sure.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “General Discussion”