• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar poblems

soundguy
Mate
Mate

Yanmar poblems

Post by soundguy »

:o I had a water leak on my engine. Upon further diagnosis, I found that water outlet on the sea water pump was leaking. Simple enough right? No! Replaced the gasket twice. Still leaked! Finally Yanmar advised me to use a loctite product WITH the gasket. Still leaked! Anyone who has changed this gasket knows it's not that easy. I finally broke down and baught the whole water pump assembly. Anyone else have a similar leak or complication?
Capt. Jay
2001 Albin 28 TE
"LUCKY 7 II"
South Amboy, NJ
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Yes, I finally broke down and bought the whole pump too.... :shock:

ah...wait till you have to mate the exhaust elbow back up to the turbo....I finally had to get a mechanic to use a drimmel tool to grind the turbo face before I could get a seal.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
soundguy
Mate
Mate

Post by soundguy »

Actually, my pump is timing belt driven and goes from the inlet sea cock to the engine water pump. Thanfully the turbo is not involved, but still not that easy. Motor mount on starboard aft is in the way, and I don't want to move the alignment.
Capt. Jay
2001 Albin 28 TE
"LUCKY 7 II"
South Amboy, NJ
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Soundguy,

The water pump is actually two parts. Once I had both pump parts on my work bench it was pretty easy to replace the paper gasket. I used permatex gasket goop along with the paper gasket. Installing the assembled pump back onto the engine is a tight squeeze because the engine mount is really close. After some minor jiggling I was able to get it installed.

The gasket between the pump and the engine is an o-ring. The one I ordered looked to be a slightly smaller diameter than the one on the pump so I didn't use it. We did a quick run out of the harbor and back with no leaks so I think I'm all set.

Good luck.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

soundguy wrote:I don't want to move the alignment.
Don't let the alignment be an obstacle. It's a straight forward adjustment and something that should be checked periodically anyway. Mark the current mount position with a Sharpie so it's as close as possible and then a final check of the alignment with a feeler gauge at the coupler is all.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”