• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Six-blade Vetus Bow Thruster Propeller

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Six-blade Vetus Bow Thruster Propeller

Post by johnmurray »

I saw a recent ad by Vetus that claimed their new six-blade bow thruster propeller reduces noise by up to 50% and delivers more thrust per horse power. For my boat which has the 55 kgf thruster, the part number for the new prop is SET 0087.
Has anyone tried one of these? If so, what were the results? Where did you get the new prop and how much did it cost?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Six Blade Prop on 55 kgf

Post by Pitou »

I swapped out to the 6 blade prop on my 55 last season at spring launch.
I sure did notice a huge difference in the noise level and heads no longer turn when and wherever I use it . Vetus also says it consumes, as I recall, 1/3 less juice. At 1st it seemed as if it had much less power, but after a full season it proved more than adequate and could have been my aging memory. Cost a year ago ..... about $65 bucks at Defender.com. Overall I am pleased with the swap and reduced noise which had sounded like a bucket of bolts ..... you all know that sound.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I did the switch too. Any change from the two, in my opinion, was negligible at best. A little sound reduction, a little force reduction - yet still powerful enough to turn the boat.

I think I got mine straight from Vetus....cause I ordered the zinc too and defender didn't have it.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I also made the switch last season and could not tell any difference. I contacted Vetus and they offered a refund but I decided to leave it on and save the old one as a spare.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

ditto that on the spare!
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Changed mine to the 6 blade just before launch last week. Tried the new one Saturday with high hopes and it's just as loud as the 3 blade. :( In fact, mine is so loud that I'd like to propose we have a thruster noise level contest at rendezvous this summer, because if anyone's is louder than mine, you deserve a prize :lol:
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Folks,

I think there is a running list of parts/supplies from various manufacturers; however, I can't seem to find it. I figured this is the next best location considering.

The zinc for both the Vetus 35 and 55 has the following stock number from vetus BP1126.

Vetus does not sell directly to individuals.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I'm in on the noisiest thruster contest. Mine sounds like someone dropped a bag of marbles into a wood chipper !!

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”