• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Helm station

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Latest

Post by RicM »

After a long dark winter the tide of chaos (see below)
seems to finally be ebbing. I spent the (beautiful) weekend pulling wires and applying the final coats of "Rejex" to the hull and white areas above the rub rail (is there a more nautical name for that area?) The helm panel was test fitted and (surprise!) it fits rather handily with all equipment in place.
As soon as the guy shows up to paint the bottom (there are some limits to what I'll do) she can splash, hopefully some time this week!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

And I thought my cabin was bad. 8)
But, that dash looks great!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Helm Panel Finished

Post by RicM »

After a lot of blood sweat and tears the finished panels are in place and they are beautiful! I'm still finishing up the wiring, consolidating all the stuff added by last owner into one 12 circuit spade fuse box, rather than the motley collection of inline and glass fuse boards that was left to me. I hope to be back out on the water later this weekend with auto pilot ready to calibrate. Note the added dimmer on the helm side at the 1:30 position inside the wheel. Great addition to any 28 TE that might ever run at night. Also I separated the "Start" and "Stop" buttons to opposite ends of the dash. They felt exactly the same when you had your eyes on a fish and I pushed the wrong one on several occasions! Anyone suggest where I might get a cherry wheel?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Spectacular job!!! 8)

Great idea with the dimmer .... is it connected to the wheelhouse dome?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dimmer

Post by RicM »

Thanks for the kind words. No, the dimmer is a separate circuit. On my boat the dome light is on a switch of it's own on the fuse panel, then there is a 3 way switch on the dome for white, red, and off. You could probably add another dimmer to that circuit if you wanted to. I generally just leave it off and use the courtesy lights for getting around the deck.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Ric,
That is a beautiful job. It's obvious that you put many hours into it. The wheel would finish it off.

The wheel Albin used on the Gatsby is from Vetus. http://www.vetus.nl
You can order direct from them. It was around 350.00 with shipping. This is a picture that Albin (Andrew?) sent me. That is not my dash. Same wheel though. It took about 10 minutes to install.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Beautiful work Ric. Nice having the enclosed pilothouse to keep it all protected and like new for years to come.

When I finished all my winter work on the boat and finally brought home all of my tools and misc. stuff to put back away in my garage I felt like a kid on the day after Christmas :D - I'm sure you can relate - quite the tool shed you had going down below...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: New Helm station

Post by RobS »

VERY similar layout on my new dash with the only difference being that I have the OEM warning light cluster (bottom right) vs. your strip of individual LED's. And my bilge pump LED's. It was a great winter to do this, working in a T-Shirt at times! Here is the old & the new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
waterhound

Re: New Helm station

Post by waterhound »

Guys, these are incredible. I'll add it to my list for next year.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”