• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Drives like a Lexus??? I hope...

Albin's "power cruisers"
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Drives like a Lexus??? I hope...

Post by tranmkp »

Guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on a nice little 86 27FC, She is clean and simple, mostly cosmetics. Has a Westy in it. Its all different for me coming from a sailboat background. Steering is something I will have to get used to. Im used to a deep rudder, Ill figure it out though.

The question I have to you is that are these boats, for lack of a better word - "buzzy". At certain rpms the boat is butter smooth, at others it is "buzzy". Shaft alignment, clean balanced prop, and good engine mounts aside. Will the boat still "buzz"? I did have the same issue in my sailboat - certain rpms produced frequencies that would just not go away.

Also, what has anyone done from the "make it real quiet side"? I can see the insulation on the engine hatch, but I can see it need a lot more all over, Pretty much at 2600 rpm you almost have to shout - forget about the stereo. If I can reduce the buzz and make it quiet - it would be paradise. Remember I came from a sailboat and they are pretty quiet under way...

cheers

MKP
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

After 25+ years of boating I took my first ride on a sailboat last year. It was great. So quiet... 8)

Coming from sail to power will be an adjustment for you. You'll get many suggestions from others that are more knowledgeable than I about sound deadening. Keep in mind it is an older diesel and will have more vibration than the newer ones.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Hi tranmkp,

The A27 doesn't steer like a sailboat. Nor does it steer like a Lexus; actually, I don't know about a Lexus, never driven one. It doesn't steer like an Audi, BMW, Porsche or Ferrari. However, it steers a lot better than most power boats I've operated. Haven't ever had any problem with getting the boat to go where I wanted, well, at least close. :)

Noise and vibration (buzz) are going to be part of the experience. A lot of both can be lessened. Engine harmonics are here to stay. One just has to stay out of the RPM ranges where the harmonics are worst. Huge vibration is generally engine or tranny mounts, could also be shaft alignment. All can be corrected.

Diesel noise is hard to suppress. A product called "Sounddown" works well. Use it as an underlayment for carpet in the cockpit. A lot of noise travels up the sidewalls of the pilot house. If one could get some insulation in that area it might help.

A new Albin 35 TE or CB would be smoother and quieter. Of course one would pay around $300,000 to get that. And operating costs would be significantly greater.

Good luck and enjoy the boat. We do!

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Thanks for the replies

Post by tranmkp »

I fogured as much - Ill go thru all the above mentioned to see if they are in working order.

I have a lot of experience with auto sound deadning, I think I can really knock down a lot of the resonance and noise.

see here

http://www.secondskinaudio.com
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

Noise and some vibration is definately going to part of the experience. You should be able to change you rpms slightly to lessen any vibration.

The helm is the noisiest with our little 61hp diesel. I am taking the plunge with a custom cut and bound marine carpet from Corinthian this year with the hopes to deaden the noise while steaming to a destination.

I have noticed when the wife is at the wheel and I am sitting in the center cockpit with drink in hand, there is much less engine noise.

The sound deadening products look promising. Keep us up to date on the effectiveness.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

On our first outing on our (used) 2003 36' Express Trawler, after taking delivery in Puget Sound we noticed some odd vibrations at certain speeds. We didn't notice them during our sea trials in San Francisco, so we were a bit concerned. We'd had the boat trucked up, painted, and new zincs applied, so I was concerned that something must have been damaged, shifted, or who knows what. However, either my sensitivity to them diminished, or they went away, because I've never noticed them since. One thought was that the shaft zinc may have been the culprit, but it has been replaced several times since then with no return of the vibrations.

I can tell you this, on our 1996 Catalina 36' MkII, it was necessary to align the shaft on the 35hp Yanmar at least yearly to prevent severe vibrations. Yet with both of the inboard diesel powerboats we've had since then, shaft alignment hasn't been an issue at all. It takes a little getting used to standing on top of a 400hp turbo diesel and cruising through chop at 10+ knots after 20 years of blowboating. It's a very differnt experience. But equally rewarding, as long as you ignore the $100 bills flying out of your wallet as it sucks down a half an ounce of fuel per second.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I also had a 1986 27 with the Westerbeke W100. Ordered it with the W100 so I would not have to beat the engine to death just to get hull speed. Bought it new in 86 & kept it till spring of 00. Long time to own same boat!

Yes the engine does have a few 'sweet' spots where you can have a normal level conversation at the helm. Being a 6 cyl engine made it alot smoother too. If I remember correctly, 2200 was one of them. I think 1800 or 1900 were others. Once in gear, always get it up off idle just a little. Stops the clutch spring 'chatter'. Not good for the clutch either. It does have a few rpms where things resonate. You just learn to bump it up or down a couple hundred rpm.

Enjoy yours. The boat is dead simple to operate. With practice it can do a 180 in under 2 boat lengths.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I've found that many Albin owners are former "windpower" boat owners, in fact I sailed and owned a sail boat during my younger years. As I got older I wanted to go from point A to point B without having to go to A1, A2, A3 and A4 first. I had no adjustment period, the biggest difference I've seen is the cost of maintaining a sail boat is significantly cheaper than owning a similar length power boat. But, that's the trade off. Good luck with your new purchase.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

sailboat cheaper???

Post by tranmkp »

I dont know maybe less per mile but when you get new sails (4) you have just repowered the boat!!!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”