• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mercruiser diesel I/O Engine model D219

Albin's "power cruisers"
JohnO

Mercruiser diesel I/O Engine model D219

Post by JohnO »

I am a new member, looking to purchase my first Albin.

I am considering purchasing an Albin 27 family cruiser with the D219 (180 hp) diesel I/O engine.

Has anyone any suggestions, good or bad on this motor, or on this Albin model.

I,m trying to do my homework rather than being sorry later.

Thanks
John

Very nice site guys.
Hope to put my pictures up to, after puchase and the ice melts!
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Hi John,

I haven't any experience with that engine. In fact, over the past two years I've only seen one A27 advertised with that engine and I think it was the Sport version, ie. no aft cabin. Leads me to believe it is very rare engine in the A27.

Our A27 AC (aft cabin, sometimes called family cruiser) is Yanmar powered, slightly over 500 hours on it. Just my wife and I use it so we have plenty of room. I'm a long time sailor so a slow cruiser/trawler is OK with me. The A27 is faster than one is likely to average in a 30-35 sailboat. With fuel prices the way they are these boats are still economical to operate, I average slightly less than 1 GPH at cruising speed.

It's a good size. Makes for less expensive dock/mooring fees and easier to get in and out of tight spots. The shallow draft is really nice. I'm used to having 5 to 6 feet of keel below me. It manuvers well, not as easy nor as accurate as a sailboat, but better than most power boats I've operated.

The two drawbacks we've found are a small holding tank (approx. 10 gal) and electrical power. The boat is small so finding room for a genset (on our boat) is impossible. Finding room for additional batteries is also impossible unless one is willing to give up storage space in the engine compartment. So far we haven't made that choice.

Otherwise, the boat is great.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

John,

I have not heard anything about the engine you are referring to. Our 27AC has the 61hp Ford/Lehman. She isn't fast, but very economical @ usually less than 1gph.

Roomy enough for family of (4) and a mutt if everyone gets along ok.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”