• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins 370 6BTA idle speed

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Cummins 370 6BTA idle speed

Post by Doug »

What should the idle speed be for a Cummins 6BTA 370 HP in a 32+2? Mine is idleing at 900 RPM, which seems fast. Is this an easy adjustment to make?
Thanks,
Doug
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Doug -
I run a Cummins 6BTA 5.9 as well. As I recall the low idle is 800 RPM. There is an information plate on the motor, I believe, behind the water pump that has all the relative info for the motor on it. The info includes Model name, serial number, valve adjustment info, timing, low idle RPM plus other good stuff. Look for this plate to double check my recollection.

Adjusting the idle is relatively easy if your handy. Adjust the idle by lengthening or shortening the throttle cable by adjusting the nut on the cable at the throttle linkage end of the teleflex cable. You will have to loosen the connection kit to adjust the nut on the cable as this kit not only attaches the cable to the linkage it acts as a stop nut for the adjustment nut. Hopefully this will make some sense once you get on your boat.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”