• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trip from Kent Narrows MD to L I Sound - Anyone done it?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Trip from Kent Narrows MD to L I Sound - Anyone done it?

Post by DougSea »

Hey all,

Well, it looks like the boating gods have been smiling on me. Unless something goes very wrong (and this is boating related so it's always a possibility!) I'll be closing on my new (to me) 28 TE this coming Friday. 1-2 Hours after the closing we get underway from Kent Narrows MD to Norwalk CT on the Long Island Sound.

(Thanks to all of you who encouraged me along! Can't believe it worked out!)

So my questions are: Has anyone here made this trip? Where did you stay? How long did it take? Anything in particular to look out for?

A good friend who used to do boat deliveries would do it in 2 long days, up to the C&D, down the Delaware, up the coast, into New York Harbor, up the East river and on up to Norwalk. Looking at the distance and the Albin's cruising speed this looks very reasonable (weather permitting of course) in the 2+ days I'm allocating. My plan is to spend a short day on the water Friday and stay in the C&D, it's where to spend the night on Saturday that I'm less sure of. I do want to make sure that I can arrive in Norwalk by late afternoon on Sunday so I can get my mooring squared away in the daylight (and have a beer at the Club!!) so I'm figuring I have to keep the Sunday leg between 120 and 160 miles.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated!

Doug

p.s. John - Lon did the survey. Very nice guy, did a great job. Thanks for the reference.
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

jersey boating law

Post by AlMar »

Doug, I'm quite sure this won't apply in your case, but it's something we have to look at for the near future. It's a weird new Jersey law for boating, and if it works for them (i.e. brings in money), it'll probably take off in other coastal states. How on earth do they plan on enforceing something like this??

New Jersey Boating Law
As of January 2006, if you operate a power boat or personal watercraft on New Jersey waters, you need a New Jersey Boating Safety Certificate :
a. by all persons born after 12/31/1978;
b. before 6/1/06, by persons born after 12/31/1968 and on or before 12/31/1978;
c. before 6/1/07, by persons born after 12/31/1958 and on or before 12/31/1968;
d. before 6/1/08, by persons born after 12/31/1948 and on or before 12/31/1958;
e. before 6/1/09 by all other persons. :?

AlMar
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

My cruising experience in the US is very limited but Kent Island to Norwalk in 2 or 3 days sounds very ambitious in a 28.

We did a 1 week Long Island Sound cruise last year onboard a Sabre 42 express. This boat is capable of a 26kt cruise with a top end of over 30kts. Our longest day was Block Island to Seabright, NJ. The weather was perfect for that run. We did the North Shore/NY harbour route.

It was a very long day on a big comphy boat.

Consider this with the capabilities of a 28. A 4 day run might be more realistic.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

DougSea,

I picked up my Albin in Cos Cob, CT. and brought it down the East River and outside to Fire Island Inlet. This trip took me about 5 hours (if I remember correctly - I'd have to check the log) running at about 18 kts. The trip took less than 1/2 a tank of fuel. We had 4 guys on board and the seas outside were 4-6'.

I think you can definately do it in 3 days comfortably and 2 to 2.5 if you really push it. The good thing is you have the long sunlight working with you. If you can start around 5am and push it till 8pm.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Doug,
Being the skeptic that I am, I would do a shake down cruise first. Plan some short stops coming up the bay just to be sure. Perhaps Middle River on the western shore or Great Oaks landing on the eastern shore. Either of those would be about an hour. We are off the Gunpowder River just a little further than Middle River. I agree with VeeByes that you shouldn't be too aggresive. Take your time and enjoy the cruise.

Go to http://www.. Go to Crusing Guides section, then Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Leave a message for MikeeH. I think he made the trip (oppisite direction) when he purchased his boat. He documented everything. He is very helpful and will answer any questions you may have. My "handle" on that board is boater21222. I don't post there much since I started this board but he may remember me.

Anyway - here is my cell 443 858 1524.

If you need help with anything while on the Chesapeake, give me a call.

Good luck and congratulations on the new boat!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Being the same kind of skeptic...I'd take his advice and do a little shake down crusie before I took off in a new to me boat for such a long trip. Have all the appropriate safety gear and then some......a friend of mine took off out of Bellingham Washington in a "new to him Albin 28" for a 350 mile trip down the Pacific Coast and encountered 10' seas. The Albin's cockpit hatches leaked so bad and the bilge pumps could not keep up. Before you knew it the bow thruster shorted out and came on due to high water in the bilge. In addition while the seas broke over the boat, someone had to man the manual bilge pump.....a scarey ride I'm sure.....
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

DougSea,

I didn't thouroughly read you entire first initial post. I didn't realize you were doing this 1-2 hours after you sign the papers. I now need to ask a few quick questions:

Did the boat pass the survey with flying marks, absolutely nothing wrong with the boat? In my experience, all boats have something wrong and its the surveyour's job to find them. Then usually, the seller (or their agent) makes some arrangement to address, fix, and repair some of these issues. However, this usually doesn't happen until after the boat is sold. If this is the case, you may be looking at atleast a week after closing to pick up the boat.

So, I ammend my first post by supporting the advice given here by others. It's always a good idea to have a few hours on the boat before embarking on your journey. However, bearing that everything is in order and up to spec, I still think you can do the trip in fast time if you HAD to. Although, it would be alot nicer to enjoy the trip as many suggested above.

Cheers!

Brian
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - yes, it's a bit ambitious to head out on a long trip RIGHT after buying a boat! :)

It's our intention to spend our first day familiarizing ourselves with her and with that in mind planned a much shorter (and protected) leg from Kent Narrows to the western end of the C&D. While we're hoping to then make it to CT in two full days we (my wife and I) have both put our offices on notice that we may not be in until Tuesday - safety and enjoyment are high on our list - and if the weather goes so bad that we can't make that I'll end up leaving the boat in a marina on the way and returning the next weekend. This whole schedule is made necessary by the time we have available but I'm confident we can do it.

The boat did in fact pass its survey with very high marks. I told the surveyor of our plans and he indicated he'd be comfortable making the trip in this boat. I also spent several hours, both on the extended initial sea trial and again on the survey sea trial, on the boat, getting the feel of her, how the systems worked, etc.

So - great advice from everyone and I wish I had more time - but this is what fits and, as I mentioned above, ducking in to a marina and hiding is certainly an option if things don't go my way!

Many thanks to you all!

Doug
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

God Speed DougSea! It seems you thought it through well enough. Please take some pics if you have the time during your sojourn.

Cheers!
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Doug,

I did the same thing you're considering except I went from Forked River, NJ to Groton, CT. The boat was used, but only a year and a half old. It too passed survey with flying colors. It was 2 days of travel but 3 days elapsed time because of a weather layover in Huntington Harbor, NY. We were concerned about the potential of problems due to lack of a shake down cruise but we didn't have any trouble. It's best to allow for a day (or two) more than you think you'll need so you don't feel too much pressure to meet a deadline. Your decisions will be better without the pressure. Unlimited towing insurance (Boat U S) helped my peace of mind as well.

Have a good trip!

Dave
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Doug,
Sounds like you have thought things through AND it's great that the survey was good.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Keep my number, just in case.
John
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

So the title to the post is "Trip from Kent Narrows MD to L I Sound - Anyone done it?"

I can now say "Yes, I have"

I wanted to get a quick post out to say thanks for all of the help and advice I got from you guys, it really did help. I'll be posting the "Tales of the trip" soon but it will take more time to write than I have right now. I will say that 325 miles in 2 days (not even 2 and a half) is a LONG time on the water. A number of challenges were encountered and overcome along the way, along with the unfortunate circumstance of hitting a mostly submerged hunk of wood in Long Island Sound, just twenty miles from home, that has my beautiful new Albin on the hard at the local marina awaiting a new transducer and a prop reconditioning!

I will say this though - the Albin is a fantastic boat! We are looking forward to years of fun with her!

Thanks again to all of you,

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Congrats Doug!
Give us the "blow by blow" when you have time. Post some pics too.
John
StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trip Advice

Post by StockHR »

Doug, I've made that trip a couple of times and here are a few things to keep in mind. First try to catch the outgoing tide when you head down the Delaware. You will pick up a couple of knots in speed. Cut through the Cape May canal it's better than going around the hook. And you can stop there for lunch or fuel. As you head up the NJ coast remember that wind will be a factor. Wind from the west is best. From the east will make it a rough ride. Also you can make Atlantic City for a stop over. It is a good inlet to enter. However going north, the next safe inlet you can enter is Barnaget. It can be rough at times but the Alban can handle it. Between AC and Barnaget there is no safe inlets. After Barnaget is Manasquan so keep an eye on your location in case you have to get out of rough seas or need to stop. Have a great safe trip.

Mike
Lowe Key

Running Delaware Bay & Off the Coast

Post by Lowe Key »

I am a bit "late" to this party, but I want to say...

Mike is right about "As you head up the NJ coast remember that wind will be a factor. Wind from the west is best. From the east will make it a rough ride." This is when you are on the ocean side.

But I came southbound with west winds (ran off shore about 3 miles out) and smooth as glass. A very nice run. When we headed up the Delaware Bay it was the "worst," but luckly on the nose. It was too dangerous to turn around in those seas, so we had to press on. Once we turned the Shoale, it was ok but getting there.... Watch those winds in any water where you have shallow fetch which can build. Lake Erie at the Islands, Charlotte Harbor, FL. and around Green Turtle in the Abacos.

Barnaget is a very nice anchorage, if they are not dredging. The shoaling at the jetty can be weird. But the absolute best place to go in is Manasquan and through the RR bridge. At the marina (don't remember the name and not near the Log book to look it up) there you want them to put you on the fishing dock with the big boys... I had the very best discussion of props, engines, and offshore fishing with the Post, Hatterus, and Striker guys.

Hope the Trip was great...

Return to “General Discussion”