• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Maintaining those Colored Hulls

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Maintaining those Colored Hulls

Post by Pitou »

RicM wrote:

Has all the features, advantages and benefits of Perfect-It™ III Rubbing Compound with increased aggressiveness to remove 1000-1200 scratches. NOTE: Perfect-It™ III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound is the most appropriate Perfect-It™ III product for gelcoat.

Then go on to Finesse It by 3M and then Rejex instead of wax.[/quote]

When I bought my hull, same thing the boat must have had port side and transom to South and wouldn't you know it that's how she sits now as well. The port side was in pretty bad shape and I brought her back with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compond and unfortunately it is an annual thing. I saw the Perfect-It III just yesterday and thought I'd give it try. I've been using the Collinite paste wax and in the quest for a better finish I'm curious Ric, who makes and what is Rejex?

Chief can go boating while alot of us exhaust our arms!

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rejex

Post by RicM »

I tried this on small areas of my old boat and does produce quite a shine. It is a bit pricey and I don't see anything about UV inhibitors.....

http://corrosionxproducts.com/index.htm
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

As much as I like the look of a coloured hulled boat, you could not give one to me. Well, you could but I'd resell it right away. :lol:

Those dark blue hulls etc are drop dead georgeous when new but, oh the maintenance! :roll:

My 32 has a teal band under the rubrail & another band at the base of the bridge combing. That is more than enough to take care of.

There is no permanent fix. Regular waxing helps. Awlgrip lasts far longer than gelcoat but you pay for it. :roll:
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Although I've had exceptional results with Collinite Products on my Whalers, I am also strongly considering 3M's newest "ScotchGuard Marine Wax" that supposedly has the most UV inhibitors.

So, 3M Compound, Finesse-it II, and then the ScotchGuard Marine Wax.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... Whats_New/

It sounds like a lot of work.....and I'm sure it is!!!
But if that protects the gel from fading for an entire season, and can be brought back quickly the following season without the compounding step, I'd call it a winner.
Perhaps a quick coat of Collinite 885 paste over the 3M products would help, but I think I'll check that out with the 3M folks for their opinion.
In the past whenever I've talked to 3M tech folks regarding 5200, 4200 and ScotchWeld 2-part epoxy, they have been right every time.
Always top buck...but you get what you pay for......
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Yep, give me a boat of any color, as long as it's white....or something pretty close. But, I do have to admit that even the white boats require some work. My boat sat for it's first 5 years of life facing west at the end of a dock. All the difference in the "sun" side vs the shade side. I will add that if you can keep your boat covered, it's by far the very best thing you can do to protect it. Stays dry, has a chance to dry out if it was leaking and keeps the sun off of it which does the most damage to your gelcoat.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Another advantage for us revolving mooring kept boats. We get more evenly toasted on both sides with the shifting wind direction. :lol:
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Thanks again for the info, once again I learned something here I would have never thought of until after the fact. We've had our 28 for three months and have a dark-blue hull. I would never have thought about slip direction/sun fade until it was too late. Flip side is, one more item to add to the list of things to worry about :lol:
Thanks,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

January Thaw

Post by RicM »

We had the annual January Thaw in the NE here this past weekend and I spent part of the afternoon working the transom on my blue hull with 3M super duty rubbing compound. I'm trying to get the old name cleaned off for the sign guy. I still like the look of a professionally hand painted name on the transom as opposed to the laser cut stick-ons. The old name was clearly visible when the old stick-ons were removed, due to oxidation and some fading. I worked the compound with a cheapo Chicago Tools grinder, and it looks great! All the oxidation gone, then went down a little more and the fading is pretty much gone too. Tried a little patch on the side with the heavy oxidation, and it looks great also. Can't wait for the shrink to come off! 65 days until spring.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Blue hull blues

Post by Legacy »

Hi Ric. If you're bored, I have my 35 available for your buffing pleasure!

I'll be awl gripping my navy blue hull this Spring. Just can't tell the wife what it costs.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Colored Hulls

Post by NJRobert »

I agree. The one and only time I've ever seen a white hull Albin 28TE, is on the fron of a cabinet in my local West Marine. Getting back to color. My 28TE is only a year old with a blue hull. I used a liquid wax in the Fall before wrapping it up. I'd like to use something that will offer some strength and durability, till at least mid-season (July). Would you suggest Collonite paste wax? The finish is still looking like new.

Robert
28TE Newport
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Looks like I'm gonna be following Ric pretty close this season as far as maintaining our flag blue hulls. Recently I was at the boat and spent some time with the fella who does all the fiberglass work and spraying for the locals. He looked at my hull and feels I can surely get all or almost all of the season with little oxidation. He ordered me the 3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound (06062) and Extra Cut Rubbing Compound (06060). He says go over it first with the Extra Cut and then the other. As a protective coating he recommends Nu Finish. This is a polymer based non-wax coating that seems similar to the CorrosionX Ric mentions above. He is a newly retired auto body shop owner who always did marine work on the side, now it's all he does. He says they used Nu Finish on the cars all of the time. It's avaliable in the hardware store, supermarkets, etc. and is not very expensive, goes on/off painlessly. We did a test section last weekend in the most heavily oxidized area of the hullside and it came up great. Of course, I can't speak of the longevity of the finish yet... Here's the Nu Finish link, you've probably seen this stuff around. http://nufinish.com/index.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Heres a secret...

Post by tranmkp »

because everyones been nice - Ill let the cat out of the bag - this really does work, I kid you not. Ive used it on all my (sailboats) - its simply crazy - not so sure if it would work as well in cooler climates -

overlook the quirky web site - I met the owner in Hawaii last year - a real excentric for sure!

http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Blue Hull

Post by RicM »

Took advantage of unpredicted nice afternoon here in RI and started the port (heavily oxidized side) with the 3M Extra Duty. It is making quite a difference although not perfect yet. This side is bad and will probably need another pass with the Extra duty.

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hull wax

Post by NJRobert »

There are mixed feelings about liquid vs paste and hand vs buffer. One would assume that the Collinite paste wax would offer better protection than using a liquid. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Robert
28Newport
NJ
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

blue hull

Post by Legacy »

Hi Ric. Certainly looks much better since your elbow grease. I used the same process and products you did on my dark blue hull last year. It looked pretty good for about a month or so and then it really needed wax again. I was told that the sun/heat really brings out the chalkiness. The previous owner really let it go, so my hull may be in worse condition than yours. (it's a 1998) Depending on cash flow, I may awlgrip the hull this year, otherwise, a good buffing and wax.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

Return to “General Discussion”