• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Factory Shutdown - Part Two

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

The "rest of the story"
This happened back in 1993. The State of Rhode Island repealed sales tax on boats manufactured in, and kept in RI.
This was a huge boost to the RI boating industry.
Several manufactures moved their manufacturing into RI, including Albin Yachts, with offices in Cos Cob, CT.

In 2006, Hunt Yachts Inc., citing a 40 percent annual increase in sales for the previous three years and a need for more manufacturing room, moved its factory and sales office to Melville from South Dartmouth, Mass.

This reason is why Standish Boat Yard faired so well, in spite of its limited space. They were situated close enough to bring customers right to the manufacturing facility, and if you bought and kept the boat in RI, no sales tax! That could be a $6K-$15K savings. Plus Albin are perfect for New England waters. Unfortunately, this was Standish Boat Yards only line of new boats. A really tough situation for a great group of folks.

But alas, even with this tax advantage, it appears other financial/business challenges were mounting for Albin. We all know the short term outcome was to close the doors.
Now, we really are waiting for "the rest of the story".
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:This may be a good time to remind everyone that you can use Google to search our site.
Start Google. In the search box type:
site:albinowners.net <search term>

site:albinowners.net yanmar

Try it.

Thanks,
That's cool. I didn't know about that one.

And thanks Gery for posting "the rest of the story".
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
d-jmeyer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Latest Story w/ Interview

Post by d-jmeyer »

This article features an interview w/ Peters about the closing of Albin.
http://www.eastbayri.com/story/291028801564853.php
Dan and Judith Meyer
Washington NC
A28 Tantrika
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin Story

Post by RicM »

That explains a lot of things. I had no idea that they owned all that land. That is extremely valuable real estate at this point and building boats on it is really a waste of money. I'll bet the name & the molds sell and the whole thing moves to North Carolina. There is a big boat building area there now. Manufacturing space is cheap and so is labor.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “General Discussion”