• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

stuffing box

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Diebels

stuffing box

Post by Diebels »

My stuffing box is leaking like crazy. I guess after 30 years I shouldn't complain. It's on a 70mm shaft on an Albin 82MS 27 foot motorsailer. The stuffing box is atypical and doesn't have a threaded end to back off and repack. In fact, it seems that the shaft may have to be removed to replace it. (And probably the rudder in order to get the shaft out.)

There is a opening for grease on the top that I can fill and prevent leaking after I shut down but as soon as the shaft is turned, the grease is released (probably around O-rings) and the ocean starts filling the bilge.

Anybody with ideas? Or a referral source?

(I tried to download a jpg picture of the stuffing box but it doesn't work. Message is that it's an empty file.????)
bobhhprop
Deckhand
Deckhand

stuffing box

Post by bobhhprop »

Diebels, sounds like either the stuffing box or shaft may be worn , hopefully the stuffing box. Good idea to inspect both the shaft and the stuffing box. Much newer styles of stuffing boxes available.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”