• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

USN USS ESSEX 1964-66

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

USN USS ESSEX 1964-66

Post by Butch »

Just curious if anybody knows anybody or was on the ship during this period. I was the fly 3 petty officer on the flight deck. Never was interested in talking about this but now that I am older, and there are now almost 300 members in this group that perhaps there is a connection. thanks!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Butch,
I never had the honor, but didn't want this post to go unanswered. Take us on a walk down memory lane. How about a few pictures of the young Butch?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

No pics, just a young man 20 yrs of age that didn't know what scary was.It is an experience when the Carrier turns into the wind, you are standing in the landing area, there is a 20kt wind and the the ship is doing 20, and you have pilots making their 1st night landing from Pensacloa, and the Flight deck is rolling into the waves because the fleet is playing war games to boot.....But have no fear because you have a destroyer and a helicopter behind you in case you fall or the pilot goes in the drink, and you are being paid hazardous pay of $56,00 a month
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

USS Essex

Post by joe.baar »

Butch,
Your brief memoir is so colorful and entertaining it almost brings tears. Let us not forget USS Essex was the name ship of the great class of CVs that made it possible for us to win the Pacific War. We honor you for your later contribution.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “General Discussion”