• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pressure water system problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Pressure water system problem

Post by Albesaurus »

I have searched the forums but cant find any info specific to my issue. I’m a new Albin owner and have been going through the boat as time permits. I’m also pretty rusty being out of boating since 2006.
My water pump was running constantly from The first day i brought the boat home. Yep, the surveyer missed along with a few other things. I did find some debris in the screens so i cleaned that but the issue persisted. I figured it was never recommissioned from winter so i bleed all fixtures while being hooked up to dockside water. Then shut dockside and turned the pump on. Still ran constantly. I also noticed spitting air even after i bleed for a long time via Dockside and tank/pump. Still no good so i swapped out the pump. Now with the new pump it is better but still runs. Better meaning it runs constantly sometimes?? It seems after i bleed the system it will work for a while. Then someone flushes the head and the pump runs constantly again. I have checked for leaks and I don’t see anything obvious. Even if i had a small leak somewhere. Wouldn’t the pump run a short time to re-pressurize then shut off?

What am I Missing?

Thanks
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Pressure water system problem

Post by dkirsop »

Do you have fresh water in your bilge? If not, then I would suspect there is a blockage between the water tank and your pump inlet. With a blockage the seals might leak and air could enter in small amounts which seems to be the case you describe. Connecting to dockside water will not solve your problem as pressure from the connection will mask the problem. You need to check the system between the tank and the connection to the pump.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

What Albin model boat and year build do you have? Which "screens" did you clean .. at the fixture and the main system filter screen in between the tank and the pump?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Albesaurus wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm Even if i had a small leak somewhere. Wouldn’t the pump run a short time to re-pressurize then shut off?
Correct. It would cycle on & off based on the extent of the leak. Sounds like issue is on the supply side as others have indicated.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albesaurus »

What Albin model boat and year build do you have? Which "screens" did you clean

Its a 2001/2002 28 engine box. There is a screen between the tank and the pump which had some debris in it but not clogged.

I will check the run from the tank to the pump today instead of going fishing....
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

One place to check - since it was just recommissioned from winter? Look around the hot water heater. There may be a bypass or the drain or pressure relief valve may be left open. This can create a very sneaky little air leak and will prevent the full system from reaching pressure.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Reb, yes that was my first thought as well - leaking line, connection, drain etc (or the tank itself) at the water heater but he's saying there is no visible water leaks... Hmmm, we shall see....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

If it is still spitting air - could also be that the system is not charged. I find if I run my tank dry it takes a good while to pressurise before the pump stops running. Like others have said, dry your bilges and then run the pump. If you’ve water in the bulge you’ve a leak. If not I suspect the micro switch has gone on the pump which I believe can be bought as a replacement part.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"If you’ve water in the bulge" for more than four hours, consult your physician.
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albesaurus »

Ok so.. I have no substantial leak. I pumped out all the water ( had very little) in the bilge. I then marked the height of the residual. I hooked up to dockside pressure and went to my friends boat for 3 hours. No new water in the bilge.

I removed the supply line from the pump. It’s only 2 fittings and a strainer and then the tank. I was able to blow with my lungs through it and into the tank. My son confirms here saw a burst of air and I felt my breath go unobstructed into the tank. If there was a clog I blew it back into the tank. I did feel some resistance when I first tried... so I hooked up the pump again figuring I may have got the clog. Nope. Same thing.

I’m not sure if the pump needs the resistance of a closed loop but I tried to see if the pump had discharge by removing the discharge side and running the pump with the open end. Nothing. No water!

So the pump does not discharge out of the open discharge side of the pump. Now i’m thinking maybe I burnt the pump out with all the trail and error? I didn’t run it that long. Only long enough to bleed the air from each fixture. Only other possibility is I got a bad pump?

Oh.... and I did check the water heater. The relief valve was closed and so was the drain cock... what the heck am I missing???
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Ok, may sound crazy, but is the strainer one that has an in and an out? Maybe plumbed in reverse? Some strainers are a "one way" style and can't flow if hooked up wrong.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Sounds like you have isolated the problem to the pump. So, check valve in pump installed backwards or jammed, pump connected backwards, faulty pump? General rule of thumb for estimating repair - double what you think it will cost and quadruple the estimated time to complete the repair! Good luck.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

If you disconnect the INLET to the pump do you get water flowing?
This will let us know that you have water going to the pump.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albesaurus »

Spent few hours today working at it and i still have the same issue. Its been going on so long now that a few of my dock neighbors got involved today. We have determined that it is for sure between the tank and the pump. The stainer is in correctly (not backwards) there is no visible leak from the tank to the pump although there is a 12” section I cannot see. If i blow into the line i get air bubbles into the tank. If i suck on the tube i get a mouth full of water.... but if I connect the pump and run it with the discharge side open i get no water.

So we determined its one of two possible causes. A bad pump right from the box or a small leak somewhere between the tank and the pump that does not show water but may be enough to introduce air in and the pump cant prime itself.

I will get another new pump tomorrow and if that does not do it i will run a new 1/2” pex line from the tank to the strainer and another new run from the strainer to the pump. I will use no fittings except the strainer itself. Currently there are 4- 90 degree quick connect fittings in the run from tank to pump.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Further to Jay's question: if you don't blow or suck the line and just leave the line from the tank disconnected before the pump does it flow water?

Have you checked your vent is clear?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”