• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6LP Dry / Wet Exhaust replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

6LP Dry / Wet Exhaust replacement

Post by Paddy »

Morning Experts,

Getting ready to do the upgrade, have the entire kit from HDI Marine plus some exhaust sealant. The wet exhaust side is my concern, should I have an issue freeing the water flow fitting or even the exhaust from the 4" rubber exhaust hose? For the fitting, can you get a wrench around the inlet? Any tricks? Given this is a boat project, I figure it could take an hour to complete or 10 hours! Would love some real world experiences.

Thanks
2004 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6LP Dry / Wet Exhaust replacement

Post by Paddy »

Old parts are off. The dry exhaust appears to have held up well, turbo flange looks good. Reassembling this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Did a similar project on my 6LP-STE last year:
Here is the thread, jump to September 21, 2019 where I found corrosion from leaking sea water at the exhaust:

http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... =5&t=10612

Long story short, had to fix it twice.
Used some SS parts from HDI , but a new wet elbow from Yanmar bought new and installed a few months earlier.
Highly recommend a 4” silicon hose rather than rubber.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

So based on your post, just clean the turbo housing up but do not use paste on either fitting?
2004 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Well, its been a fun day, lost the bet on the over/under on 10 hours.

Long story short, I ordered the wet exhaust back in 2017 or 2018 from HDI but never installed it. Ordered the rest of the parts last month. Got it all together today, hardest part was getting the new wet exhaust into the very stiff rubber (I know Norseman...new hose...longer story). With the use of some dish soap, I got it in, bolted everything up. The V clamps are interesting as you don't "feel" how much you should be tightening them down. Also, the exhaust clamps came off but would not go back on. Fun fact I learned after 2 trips to the marine parts store that 4" T-clamps for a 4" hose will not fit, went with 4.5".

Started it up, no exhaust leak but it was dripping from the bronze fitting area of the wet exhaust. Turns out it was dripping from a seam in the casting, not the bronze fitting. Took it apart and called HDI. The woman who answered was awesome...I explained the situation and she said they did have casting issues back in 2017 at that seam. She is sending me a new wet exhaust, gasket, v clamp along with a return postage for the new but 2017 part. Needless to say, a big shout out to HDI Marine for taking care of me, they could have told me to go scratch. I was about to bite the bullet and order a new one from my local Yanmar dealer, glad HDI came through.

So now I wait for the new one. Fingers crossed that I will be good to go by the weekend.
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Long story short, I ordered the wet exhaust back in 2017 or 2018 from HDI but never installed it. Ordered the rest of the parts last month. Got it all together today, hardest part was getting the new wet exhaust into the very stiff rubber (I know Norseman...new hose...longer story). With the use of some dish soap, I got it in, bolted everything up. The V clamps are interesting as you don't "feel" how much you should be tightening them down. Also, the exhaust clamps came off but would not go back on. Fun fact I learned after 2 trips to the marine parts store that 4" T-clamps for a 4" hose will not fit, went with 4.5".
Been there, done that.
For the love of God, get a piece of silicone hose (blue) it will solve all your problems and can be had on eBay for $60 instead of $300.
(Most marine stores sell a minimum length, us 28TE guys only need a short piece, not 3 feet. Go eBay)

I love HDI, they are the best with excellent products and support.
Wish I bought a SS wet elbow from them, but did the Yanmar cast iron a few months earlier, will run it a couple of years before I go all SS.
The secret to get this together is alignment, keep trying and have a few spare gaskets. I tried first with “paste” did not work, had to remove the hardened paste later, it took hours.
Use the gaskets and be gentle when you align, very gentle. Took me hours but happy with the result. All good now. 8)
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Remember your whole "only need 12" of hose but they sell 3' pieces? Well, during a moment of quarantine, I found a new 2' trident non-bendable hose for $35, not silicone, but new. I was raised by a father who always said, "measure twice, cut once," and I didn't do that. Turns out, my Albin ran a 2.5' hose with a slight bend to the port side. Cost me $15 to send it back. I was even going to reach out to you for the other half you didn't use. At this point, I just want to be back to running. The dry exhaust is on, waiting on HDI for the wet exhaust. Still glad I tackled it, one less thing to worry about.
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. I found a new 2' trident non-bendable hose for $35,
Not sure why you want a non-bendable hose?
The reason for steel reinforced hose is to prevent collapse in a bend or with a vacuum.
On my 2001 engine box there is no bend or vacuum. Biggest waste of time and material was me trying to duplicate the factory steel reinforced exhaust hose.
The internal steel corroded big time and made a mess but was not needed as the run is straight.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Just checked the receipt, it was 2' of non-steel reinforced exhaust hose, 3' would have worked....either way it was wrong so I left it in the box and sent it back. My Albin has a little less than 3' feet of hose and the factory bent it up slightly to meet the dry exhaust. How is yours configured that you only need 12" of hose? I'm referring to your other post about needing 12" but could only find 3' sections.
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Paddy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 am Just checked the receipt, it was 2' of non-steel reinforced exhaust hose, 3' would have worked....either way it was wrong so I left it in the box and sent it back. My Albin has a little less than 3' feet of hose and the factory bent it up slightly to meet the dry exhaust. How is yours configured that you only need 12" of hose? I'm referring to your other post about needing 12" but could only find 3' sections.
Aha, you must have a different system, flush deck boat?
Here is my foot-long silicone hose:
672AA9F0-EF09-473B-861B-42479DD9F3CC.jpeg
68C90827-6FC4-4BF0-A3D6-8E6201814957.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Nope, engine box. The rubber exhaust hose goes from the wet exhaust to the 90 degree hard elbow on the port side. Maybe they started cutting corners during the later years of production...
2004 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Done, so far so good, will retighten as needed. HDI Marine is just amazing, got me the new wet exhaust in 2 days, no questions asked. Class act!
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. HDI Marine is just amazing, got me the new wet exhaust in 2 days, no questions asked. Class act!
Yup, also impressed with HDI, will buy from them next time for sure. :shock:

Return to “Albin Maintenance”