• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NEW MEMBER WANTED A 28TE

cdahmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

NEW MEMBER WANTED A 28TE

Post by cdahmen »

WANTED
28TE ALBIN 2004+ FULLY EQUIPPED.
I HAVE READ MANY OF THE POSTS ON 28' S AND FOUND THEM VERY INFORMATIVE, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON WHICH MODEL FLUSH DECK OR MOTOR BOX WOULD BE ADAPTABLE TO MOSTLY CRUISING

CARL
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Hi Carl -

Welcome to the group. I think that for cruising either model will work well. I have a 2003 Flush deck. This was the first year the flush deck was offered. Since I mainly fish the boat it was the hands down choice for me.

As for difference between the two models in my opinion -

Engine Box -

Pros -
* Engine box can provide a nice seat or lounging pad
* Easier access to the engine for service
* Larger quarter berth

Cons -
* Reversing Transmission (Not sure if that's a con or not)
* Less room for people in the cockpit
* A little tighter for maneuvering between the helm and cockpit

Flush Deck -

Pros-
* Huge cockpit space for coolers, chairs, etc.
* Easy access to the helm from cockpit
* Straight drive
* Center fish box provides quite a bit of extra storage

Cons-
* Smaller quarter-berth
* Engine is difficult to service (unless you are 3'8")

The fuel economy and ease of handling make the 28TE a really nice boat regardless of model. Good luck with your search.

Jack
Last edited by JackK on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jack,
Great post! I'm borrowing (stealing?) it for the TE 28 forum.

Carl,
I have the engine box. Jack's post says it all.

Welcome to the board.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Except -

It's not a "V-Drive", it's a reversing transmission. Albin used V-Drives on their early 32s. A jack shaft a couple of feet long came out of the transmission to the V-Drive. The propeller shaft came out of the bottom of the V-Drive. These were subject to alignment problems, and the V-Drive robbed power. All in all, not a good arrangement.

On the other hand, a reversing transmission has the same number of parts as a regular transmission, it just has one of the gears turned around. It uses no more power than a regular transmission and is just as reliable as a regular transmission.

Sorry for the dissertation, but this was a common misconception when I was selling Albins, and a bit of a sore subject with me.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Butsh17

Post by Butsh17 »

Carl, I'm in exact same situation as you. Jack's info is excellent ! I was leaning toward the flush deck, but I'm big (6'3") and know about the value of having ample access to engine area, hence the engine box model seems more practical for me. Decisions, decisions.

Gary
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I just finished winterizing my 2003 28 TE, with engine box. It's not too bad, although I did play a little "Gumby" to reach everything. Since I service the Yanmar myself, I'm glad it's got the engine box.
Plus, the flush deck looses about 8-10 inches on the aft birth. I really like the room.
If I were seriously fishing all the time, different story.
But we do fishing, cruising, entertaining, etc. and we find the seating on the box really super. Pull off the cushion, it's a pretty good serving table.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Tom Myers

Post by Tom Myers »

Hi Carl:
On an extended cruise, the raised engine box worked very well for us. We took nine weeks to run from Beaufort, NC to Southwest Harbor, Maine and back to NC. The engine cover was our "coffee table" every day. We ate all breakfasts and most lunch and dinners there. If fishing is your primary activity, I would consider the flush deck, but if you plan major crusing, the raised engine box is an advantgage.

Tom
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fishing

Post by RicM »

We are probably 80% fish, 20% cruise, and the engine box has never been an issue. I usually lay out the plano tackle boxes on it for easy rigging. If we are tuna fishing, which is faster action than striped bass, I remove the cushion and throw it below. That way if a rod goes off on the other side of the boat I just step onto the box and walk right over it. I have rod holders screwed to the sides of the motor box which are much more convenient than rocket launchers on the radar arch. Sometimes yo have to think around the box rather than outside it.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Just posted this in another forums, but I fish mostly and love the engine box. Have issues with the seat post in the flush deck as I too am a big guy and they just seem too dainty for me. Engine box does afford better access to the engine, but more-overly for me it's the best seat in the house if you are fishing off the side, which I do a lot.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Whenever possible fishing is the name of my game, but I find plenty of time to cruise and just relax. Being an engine box guy I agree it makes a great tackle station. Tackle Boxes at the ready, a place to air dry the spreader bars or just a place to sit waiting for the rigs to go off while on the troll.
As stated earlier it also makes a great cocktail hour table for pitchers of whatever, shrimp plates, etc. or a place to lay out the buffet. When the sun is out the ladies love the cushion.
Are there times I wish I had the big dance floor? Absolutely, but it's hard to have it all on a 28.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Engine box rod holders

Post by Russell »

Ric, I would like to see a picture of the rod holders you have screwed to the side of the engine box. I have two bolted to the aft section of the bow rail but could use a few more. Do you have to watch out not to trip over or kick them? Thanks, Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

rod holders

Post by RicM »

They are plastic tubes on a rack. I will try to get a photo this weekend. They sell them at West Marine and Boater's World.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: NEW MEMBER WANTED A 28TE

Post by jcollins »

cdahmen wrote:WANTED
I HAVE READ MANY OF THE POSTS ON 28' S AND FOUND THEM VERY INFORMATIVE, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON WHICH MODEL FLUSH DECK OR MOTOR BOX WOULD BE ADAPTABLE TO MOSTLY CRUISING

CARL
Here you go http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=1252
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: NEW MEMBER WANTED A 28TE

Post by jcollins »

cdahmen wrote:WANTED

CARL
Hey Carl,
Here's another one:
http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rod Holders

Post by RicM »

I was not able to get to the boat today, as tonight is our annual holiday party, oysters & champagne for 50 people. Here is link to the ones I have
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=12451. I mounted them on the sides of the engine box, not centered, a little toward the stern. We have not had any problem with bumping into them. The motor box sides do slant in toward the top so I put a rubber washer between the box and the upper bolts to bring the rods back verticle.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”