• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pre purchase oil sample

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Pre purchase oil sample

Post by Wfmdfm »

I had a 28 TE surveyed this week. An oil sample was pulled. Results came back with high Iron and Aluminum. After research it seems there are some mixed reviews if this is a meaningful one time test. It seems better suited for getting a baseline and then periodic checks after that looking for a change in values. There is another person pulling a new sample today so I will wait for those results but thought I would throw it out here.
650hrs on 300 Yanmar
20 hrs since oil change
pulled after running and driving for an hour
Iron 150 ppm
Aluminum 472 ppm
silicone 18 ppm
Sodium 97 ppm
Nothing else was out or range concerns
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Re: Pre purchase oil sample

Post by MadMoney »

I'll be curious to hear from the folks who know more about this... does the presence of Sodium indicate Saltwater is getting into the oil some how??

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

If I am not mistaken, sodium is some kind of additive in Delo. I could be off on that, but it bears investigation.

Edit: See Torrey's response below. My recollection was flat incorrect. Don't believe everything you read on the interweb. Go to Delo cutsheet for chemicals used in their oils. It is easy to find. Here:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDS ... aId=415568
Last edited by WillieC on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

A one time does not tell much. Consider that sample your baseline. Typically, unless it is the manufacturer conducting the testing, the lab conducting the analysis will ask engine manufacturer, application, engine hours, oil brand and viscosity used; then they can compare your results with other similar sample results.

That is to say unless there are glaring issues.

If you owned this boat I would recommend before you go loosing sleep over those results, change the oil, run normally, observe etc and pull another sample in 20hr. As this is a boat you are considering to purchase heres my opinion on those results:

Aluminum. Could be a host of things. Piston or bearing wear are the most common contributors. Could have been a mild overheat condition or a missed oil change. Tough to tell. Would be nice to see that come down after a new sample.

Sodium yes is a tad high, I assume this boat is in a salt water environment. Considering the hours, could be a good idea to look at the after cooler if there is no documentation of it being removed and checked over for possible leaks. Sodium would most likely be associated saltwater/air/mist entering the engine.

Iron, most of that engine is made of iron so its going to be present. Being a little high like that could indicate something is wearing maybe in the valve train or it could also indicate some recent engine work? Valve lash etc..

Silicone could also indicate recent engine work. Lots of sealers and gaskets have silicone in them. On the other hand, it is defiantly an additive in engine coolant so it could also mean some potential cross contamination if supported by other indicators. Would be nice to see that consistently go down with more sampling.

Like I said, a one time sample is tough to make sense of. Generally these are the culprits I have seen when interpreting oil samples. My favorite results come from the manufacturers as they know their unit and the fluids in it and their content. If someone is running incorrect coolant or oil in an engine, goofy results may come up. A call to Mack Boring may result in some help, very knowledgeable Yanmar people. Pretend its your engine and results!?

Continuing with your Albin search; don't forget to poke your surveyor or you yourself suggest transmissions and even engine coolant be tested. They all have a story to tell!

Good luck!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

A baseline is the way to go. It is a snapshot of the engine and over time it tells the story of what is occurring. Here is a document that should provide a helpful incite.
Closer Look at Particle Contamination .pdf
four-biggest-engine-killers.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

TorreyWP wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:19 pm
Sodium yes is a tad high, I assume this boat is in a salt water environment. Considering the hours, could be a good idea to look at the after cooler if there is no documentation of it being removed and checked over for possible leaks. Sodium would most likely be associated saltwater/air/mist entering the engine.
Further to TorreyWP's post - Yanmar uses a seawater cooled oil cooler as well.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Here's my latest results. I like Blackstone because they make some interesting comments in their summaries.
Blackstone will send you a kit for no cost. You pay when you send in your sample. Results are usually within a week. Probably could get them faster if you asked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Wfmdfm »

Thanks for the feed back and info. I stopped into Standish Boat Yard yesterday in RI. I had a nice talk with Ken Hilton who is very experienced in the Albins. His opinion was one sample is not going to give much of any indication. He would more rely on listening and looking for any type of smoke on start up and also under load. Still waiting the results from the 2nd sample. I plan on proceeding with the purchase and shipping her from Florida to Massachusetts her new home. This boat came from 5 miles from my mooring to Florida about 7 years ago. Now she is heading back home.
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”