• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Nice Monitoring System

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Nice Monitoring System

Post by cdsailor »

Engine Watchdog out of Australia makes a cool product: an affordable, easy-to-wire, user-friendly engine temperature monitoring and alarm system. The TM4 twin sensor with customized display allows monitoring of twin engines (or one engine and one transmission) with a user-defined alarm temperature set point and a built-in audible alarm. Simply connect the temperature sensor wire to the desired location on the engine, wire the unit to 12-volt power, and power it up. Sensor lead wires are supplied with ring connectors (3/8" hole) that can be attached to the engine block, cylinder head, coolant tank, or any other location.

We already have the stock engine temp and low oil pressure buzzers, but we wanted redundancy and a system that would detect overheat issues before the coolant temp reached 210 (or higher). The Engine Watchdog system looked like an effective solution. On our Lehman 120, I secured the sensor wire to an unused tapped hole located on the starboard side of the cylinder head close to the #6 cylinder. Anyway, if you like the idea of an affordable and easy-to-install alarm system that identifies faults before they become catastrophic, check out the Engine Watchdog system. And if you want to wire a second, external alarm, be sure to request an "external alarm lead" when you place your order.

http://enginewatchdog.com/index.html
fullsizeoutput_c53.jpeg
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by cdsailor on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Re: Nice Monitoring System

Post by MadMoney »

Interesting product... thanks for sharing and nice looking install!

Anthony
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

David, how is the TM4 working out for you?

I am doing a bunch of PM on my genset this offseason and I'll be adding the twin sensor TM4 - Engine Temp and Wet Exhaust Temp. She's already fitted with the usual emergency shutddowns but she's not equipped with a gauge package so the TM4 will give me the visual and a redundant alarm. I plan on getting the external siren too and mounting it behind the cockpit liner near one of my engine vents for hearing when out back or up top.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

RobS wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 pm David, how is the TM4 working out for you?
So far, so good. I ordered another one to install on a Perkins 4.108. Good service once again from the company and fast shipping. We're northern boaters, so the system won't get another workout until spring.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

Post by dgetswet »

so where did you order this from? And dare I ask what the cost is?
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

I bought it direct from their web page: http://enginewatchdog.com/index.html

With the conversion rate, it was a good deal...$113 US.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”