• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interesting thread from the Classic Parker website

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Interesting thread from the Classic Parker website

Post by jcollins »

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... bd571df631

Scroll down through the message.
Do we cry about soot and noise?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

He may have read my thread where I asked about soot stains around the exhaust exit. After hauling the boat to clean the prop and hull of barnacles that problem has pretty much disappeared. In addition I got back my cruising speed of 18-19 knots and ability to achieve maximum RPMs.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Interesting thread from the Classic Parker website

Post by Pitou »

jcollins wrote: Do we cry about soot and noise?
I do recall some whining :cry: this past summer, but I see they still want to be us !
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

They're all just jealous of our big manly diesels! 8)

And of course when we do complain it's as we seek perfection!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I'm please that they noticed our flyers for our first NE Rendezvous thanks to Ken Hilton at Standish Boatyard. I asked Ken to hand them around to Albin owner's he saw at the show.

Thanks Ken.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I don't recall anyone whining about soot and smoke. I remember some people who were new to diesels asking if it was normal.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Soot

Post by RicM »

I have been very pleasantly surprised with how LITTLE soot I have seen. I really don't soap the transom, just spray with fresh water. Finally in September after lot's of long runs (several hundred NM) I noticed a slight film on the port side transom. I've been running Rotella 15-40w and Shell diesel with no additives and it's very clean.

It is interesting to read the commentary about outboards and Albin. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why it makes sense from a design standpoint to hang the heaviest component of a boat off the back on a bracket. At the price of outboards, you don't save any money in the purchase, the fuel use is what, 20-30% more? Sorry, just doesn't make sense to me.

As for "Albin Lust", I was on a plane this past early summer, and the guy next to me got talking. He was on his way to Martha's Vinyard to open his 2 houses that he rents for the summer then vacations in for the month of September. He had just sold his online company to Omnimedia, the largest or second largest ad agency in the world, so this guy was rich beyond my wildest possibilities. We got talking fishing and boats and I pulled out my phone and start showing him some pictures. He saw the 28TE in the first picture and he went bananas, "I always wanted an Albin 28!" he went on and on. Who was richer?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I can't for the life of me figure out what that guy was talking about. Any discussion of soot in this forum concerned an ill running engine not the norm. The observation of smoke and soot may have been discussed as an indication during trouble shooting an engine. Also, the choice to purchase a boat that has a diesel engine or an outboard engine is certainly very personal. To me the advantages of a diesel engine are to persuasive to ignore, reliability and fuel economy far outweigh the additional speed you might get with outboards. Let me know if you see any professional lobsterman, fisherman or workboats with outboards. :roll: The comment about Peninsular being the worst engine ever installed in a boat can't be proven by me. I have had absolutely no problems with my Peninsular, and I laugh every time I pull up to the fuel dock. I don't know what parts might cost, I havent needed any in three years of running. Other than reference to an air leak in the fuel line when the origional owner first bought the boat, there has been no repairs necessary, and common maintenance parts such as zincs and filters do not cost a fortune to replace. I have owned a boat long enough to realize that the next problem could materialize the next time out on the water but, knock on wood, my Albin boat with my Peninsular engine looks and runs great. I can't ask for more than that from my boat. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Speed

Post by RicM »

I find he speed issue to be largely a red herring as well, my last boat (gas I/O) would do 24 knts, but there were precious few times in Narragansett Bay or RI Sound when you could go that fast without knocking your teeth out. At a steady 18 kts all the way to Block Island I get there in the same or less time than my old boat, where I could go faster in the upper bay when it was calm, but sometimes had to slow down to 12-14knts once we would get into some waves.

There is only 2 things I would change on my boat. The dash area should be bigger to accomodate the newer and larger screens on GPS & radars, and the window mullion in the starboard center of the windsheild always seems to be concealing a lobster pot. I would go for a single window and put a hatch in the roof like the Sabreline boats for air flow.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “General Discussion”