• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

wrench for shaft log for 27 feet albin

Albin's "power cruisers"
Rodman2034

wrench for shaft log for 27 feet albin

Post by Rodman2034 »

need the packing nut tool for albin 27 not the nut style more like a spindal type can,t find the right tool please help
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I had the mechanic replaced and adjust the packing on my 28. He used a tool that looked like a long screw driver with the tip bent at a slight angle. It is available at Sears and there are several lengths available. If you need, I could go out to my shop and get the number off the tool. He made short work using this tool to loosen the nuts.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

A picture would be helpful.
Rodman2034

Post by Rodman2034 »

That would be helpful if i could get the model name & number. Where would i find it a sears?
Thanks
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Good luck. Working down in that keel, even with the proper tool requires positions the human body is not supposed to get into, much cursing mashed fingers & maybe drawn blood before the job is done. :x BTW, the A32 is worse.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Tahoma
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Great Loop

Re: wrench for shaft log for 27 feet albin

Post by Tahoma »

I serviced my shaft log using an inexpensive adjustable plumbing wrench (similar to the Zoro#G5295281) and a pin punch and light hammer to loosen and then tighten the lock nut. It wasn't the easiest thing to do with so little room to work but with those two inexpensive tools I got the job done with most but not all my "frustration words"
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

I know its an old thread but I did a search here when I had the same problem and had to start a new thread.
Solved it with a sawn off 14" pipe wrench.
Thread and pictures here - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8070
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

One of the first things I did on my 27 redo was get out my little handy dandy saber saw and increase the opening size of hatch over the packing gland. Makes it much easier on my old body to work. I can now use channel grips to tighten the gland. Also makes it much easier to service bilge pumps I have there.

Vic

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”