• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 1000 hour Service tomorrow, lapping valves?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Yanmar 1000 hour Service tomorrow, lapping valves?

Post by Norseman »

Might as well bite the bullet and get the big one over with.
Will check the valve clearance, will check the injector timing and will replace the timing belt. (3rd time doing the timing belt on this engine, always bumping up against the 5 year limit rather than the 1250 hours)
The tensioner was done 280 hours ago, will take a good look at it before tearing it out and replacing.
The book says Lapping the valves are needed at 1000 hours..
Not sure I am ready for that, big job, pulling the head and all.
Has anybody done it at 1000 hours.? (6LP-STE, or 6LPA-STP)
The motor is smoking, I had planned to pull the injectors, but previous owner suggested Diesel Kleen first, ordered a case from Amazon and if that works it will save me $1,000 and I owe the previous owner a hug. :mrgreen:

Water pump was new 215 hrs/2 years ago, will leave it alone, but perhaps the impeller could use replacing, will ask the mechanic.
How many hours does fellow Albinos get out of the impeller?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Yanmar 1000 hour Service tomorrow, lapping valves?

Post by Carl »

I replace impeller every other season as PM. I also carry a spare but would never consider trying to replace while rocking, that’s what boat US is for. Getting ready to turn 1800 hrs, no valve job yet, getting second timing belt done in a couple weeks. Keep an eye on that sea pump, bad seals will spray salt water on side of motor.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Carl wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:09 pm I replace impeller every other season as PM. I also carry a spare but would never consider trying to replace while rocking, that’s what boat US is for. Getting ready to turn 1800 hrs, no valve job yet, getting second timing belt done in a couple weeks. Keep an eye on that sea pump, bad seals will spray salt water on side of motor.
Roger, good information, thx.
Yeah, I keep spare impellers, gaskets, cover plate, etc onboard.
Looks like a pain in the arse change it on the engine box model, but probably not any easier on the flush deck.. :shock:
SeaTow only for last resort. I do most of the Albin cruising in the Bay side of the Keys: If something goes bad I can coast of the tracks, put the anchor down and pull out tool and spares, or have dinner and drinks and do it the day after. (Retired and lazy)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Started the service today with a mechanic from the Yanmar Dealer in Fort Lauderdale.
He did not recommend lapping the valves.
Instead he did check and adjust the valves. (2 of them needed a slight adjustment)
Also pulled the water pump and changed the impeller: The spare gasket I had was broken, mechanic had to run back to the shop and get a new one. (@ $ 115 per hour)
Had planned to change the timing belt, but tensioner had to be ordered, Dealer did not order tensioner with belt, instead he told the mechanic to just change the belt, I refused.
Also the mechanic spotted a leak on the mixer elbow and suggested we change it: Present elbow is 12 years old and looks like cast iron.
Considered ordering a SS elbow from eBay @ $370, but decided to go with a Yanmar part ordered from the dealer @ $548. More money, but the old one lasted 12 years and using original parts from the servicing dealer, I can go back and complain if something happens later. The eBay SS elbow may be made in China for $10. Trying not to chase the almighty dollar and save on every transaction, single engine boat, need it to be reliable, or be stuck in remote Bahamas with no VHF coverage because I bought cheap parts.
$368 for labor today and probably $50 for gaskets.
Probably will do the valves adjustment myself next time, easy and clean access.
Not sure about the water pump, pretty tight and I am getting old and lazy, will have them do it.
Timing belt, tensioner and mixing elbow next week.
Guessing total labor about $8-900 and total parts $8-900.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Norseman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:42 pm I am getting old and lazy....
It's not called lazy, it's called "selective" 8)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”