• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 25 repower

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A 25 repower

Post by WillieC »

There is enough room behind that engine for a couple more cylinders!
Twin Beta 25s! Runnin' with the devil!
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

Post by FrankD »

No worries Willie
Long way from done and won’t see water until next year
Yes to the steel in the bed

I think the “vented lo” exhaust fix will be far less $ to do than the $$$ raised exhaust elbow. What have others done for this issue with their Beta 25s?
As well... what speed,/RPM/fuel use have you found with the Beta 25?

(Ive read others, Beta 25 specific question)

Thanks all
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Post by Desertboater »

With our early Albin 25 displacement hull and the Beta 25 at 2700 rpm (2.6:1 transmission), speed is about 6.5 knots and fuel usage about 1/2 gallon per hour. The reason the numbers are 'about' is that we mostly are in the upper Columbia river or the lower Snake River and experience variable currents. I did see 9.6 knots on the GPS this last weekend - but that was after turning around just north of Richland, WA after running the last mile upstream at 4.1 knots.

Pushing RPMs up to 3000 adds a tenth of a knot or so and raises the bow plus increases wake. Fuel burn goes up also for no real benefit.

We did not install a loop exhaust with the Beta 25. Our concern was more wave 'slap' against the stern when moored at the dock and left in the water for weeks to months. Wakeboard and ski boats as well as the jet skis are very common here in the summer and produce big wakes. A bronze ball valve in the waterline exhaust hose under the port rear berth prevents water from entering. Of course this will not prevent waterlogging the engine when backing into waves.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I was concerned over the low exhaust on mine but after messing with the AC install and having issues with the AC pump not priming with it installed on the floor right to the side of the engine I stopped worrying about it. it is pretty much impossible to make water climb nearly a foot from just waves hitting it. When you are backing its a non-issue since the engine is running at that point. I will measure how high my elbow is over the bed next time I'm in the boat. I have a straight elbow going to the side of the manifold (mine has a non cooled manifold)
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”