• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

10 year engine overhaul.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: 10 year engine overhaul.

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:26 am
Norseman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:08 am Good numbers, curious how you do that: Stripped and lightweight boat, high turbo boost, or both?
I can see how some folks get high speeds out of over-propping, but looks like you are good with the 4K WOT.
Enjoy life in the fast lane :mrgreen:
Propeller technology has come a long since these boats were built, take the late Max (Serenity) He was running a 1.5:1 transmission swinging a 3 blade wheel IIRC and could achieve 29 knots - that is beyond Cummins territory in terms of speed with 70HP less!

I am running about 19psi at 3300rpm - not sure what it is at WOT as I am too busy holding on!

I did take an ex Round Britain RIB racing champion out with me a few weeks back he tuned the 6lp to 370 HP in his race boats and said they ran better with that power as they were WOT at 4300 rpm but the engines ran with less stress and ran cooler due to the extra fuel and cooling going through the engines. I declined his offer to bring the power up on mine :lol: but he did think mine was now running higher power due to the new head and refreshed fuel setup as we could still achieve 4000rpm with three aboard, half a tank and full water.
Nice, maybe there is free lunch. (New prop-technology)
As for tuning the old 6LP with more HP and less stress…Hmm not so sure.
(He should call Japan and educate the Yanmar engineers)
I know about some racing guy in Norway who have also souped up the 6LPs and gotten big HP, but ticking time bomb comes to mind..
Happy fishing.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
npsteeb
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Perrysburg, Oh

Post by npsteeb »

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that prop cost? I wonder if they ship to the US.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

£1800 with the tax.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”