• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Leak on 6LP

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Oil Leak on 6LP

Post by Tree »

I would say the engine can stay in place - but that is all dependant on the mechanic you have doing the job. If the mechanic can't remove the timing belt insitu I'd be thinking about another mechanic.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
tdsull
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by tdsull »

Thanks Tree. My posting skills are poor. I see now that my earlier post went through.

I will let you know how it pans out.
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

The shop finished the repair on my leaking oil pan and the hole in my turbo on my 315 Yanmar. They ran the engine for an hour and all is good to go. I will have the boat brought down to the yard for the install on the engine. What blew me away was the price of the oil pan. The oil pan was ordered from Japan. (Toyota) and cost the consumer ( me)$1800.00. I definitely am or was in the wrong business. Incredible. They painted it with an epoxy to prevent further rust. Nice bill for Valentines Day
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Serenity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm The shop finished the repair on my leaking oil pan and the hole in my turbo on my 315 Yanmar. They ran the engine for an hour and all is good to go. I will have the boat brought down to the yard for the install on the engine. What blew me away was the price of the oil pan. The oil pan was ordered from Japan. (Toyota) and cost the consumer ( me)$1800.00. I definitely am or was in the wrong business. Incredible. They painted it with an epoxy to prevent further rust. Nice bill for Valentines Day
Ouch, expensive oil pan.
Found one for my 6LP-STE for $1,415. Same part number...?
http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_ ... 9770-00230
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I looked at my bill one more time and the oil pan was only $1538.00. I mistook the 5 for an 8.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 am I looked at my bill one more time and the oil pan was only $1538.00. I mistook the 5 for an 8.
Bargain !
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob, it was a bargain. Also, the new turbo, SS mixing elbow, paint job on the oil pan, and a new raw water pump impeller. For a couple more Pesos, I could have bought a new engine and saved money on the labor rate.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I hope corrective measures were also part of the job as none of this should have happened to an engine of your vintage. Maintenance and improvement monies are fun....... steep repair monies are not and "most" can be prevented and avoided altogether,,,
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob, I agree. My raw water pump leaked at the flange. Possibly when it was pulled off to service the impeller, The spray from the water pump corroded the oil pan. The turbo was probably my fault for not running the engine full throttle more, when I went out. Another issue that comes up, was the engine only 2 years old with 44 hours on it. It just sat there in her slip. The mixing elbow I bought 2 years ago. Since the engine was out, I had the yard replace it. A preventive issue. Splashdown is only 7 weeks away.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

My Yanmar has a brand new, epoxy painted oil pan and a new turbo. I was curious how the yard got the shaft out of the boat. I have a v-drive on the 315. On the bulkhead when you step into the cabin I had a 3x5" vent cover covering up a hole. I replaced the vent cover with a 5x8" black vent. They pulled the shaft thru that hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”