• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 99hp Repower - Yanmar or Beta

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: A27 99hp Repower - Yanmar or Beta

Post by Panhdjoe »

Nissan stooped making replacement parts for the LD28M some years ago. Many of the engine parts can be had from the after market. I do not believe any of the marine specific parts are available anywhere. An outfit in California bought out Nissan Marine's inventory. The name of the place is or was JESCO, short for Joe's engine company. I sold my family cruiser 5 years ago so I am not sure of their current status. A rebuilt LD28M is probably not an option.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
hagan_dv
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brunswick, GA

Post by hagan_dv »

Thanks for the information on replacement of my Nissan LD28 Marine diesel. Does anyone know if there might be Yanmar small diesel for sale out there that I might buy to refit for my 1985 Albin FC? Any leads on source/ phone #'s?

I'd like to be able to keep crusin' with this Albin with as few $$ as reasonable. Of course, I do recognize it is still a BOAT (=break out another $$$ thousand)...
Thanks,
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Dan,

I appreciate your sentiments and it sound like you are being reasonable about the situation. I also own an A27 with the Nissan LD28 and have also contemplated repower. Someday I probably will repower but for now, the old beast is going strong. That said, these are maintenance heavy, "dumb" old iron units which means a more hands on schedule is required to keep them running tip top. Yes, marine parts and pieces are extinct but soft parts (belts, hoses, impellers, pumps etc.) are interchangeable with at times with the auto version of the engine and available.

My recommendation: As long as low compression is the only on-going issue (and yes; that will certainly affect runability..) have your diesel mechanic or If you are comfortable, perform a valve lash adjustment. These engines have overhead valves that need adjustment regularly (200-300hrs). The valve cover needs to come off and a new gasket should be installed. Rock Auto has it (Seach by 1983 Nissan Maxima and choose L6 diesel) or try NAPA, somewhere I have the Felpro #. Go to the library section on this site to find the service manual for the engine, it describes the procedure in detail and it should not take a seasoned mechanic with the right tools more than an hour or two to do the procedure and pull compression numbers after the work.

Its just a guess that this procedure has not been done recently; valve overlap would absolutely show low compression numbers and make the thing hard starting and sluggish.

Good luck,

Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”