• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

(re)Gaining Confidence

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: (re)Gaining Confidence

Post by Carl »

Last week I had scheduled my boat to be hauled to wax and clean the bottom. I told them not to put it back in until I called them. I think I will leave her out until next week. That is one big storm, and only needs to change direction a little bit to cause some real worries. Glad to be on the hard until this one passes.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

This is computer model as of 9:00 AM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:Last week I had scheduled my boat to be hauled to wax and clean the bottom. I told them not to put it back in until I called them. I think I will leave her out until next week. That is one big storm, and only needs to change direction a little bit to cause some real worries. Glad to be on the hard until this one passes.
I don't disagree but be sure they don't put you under or near any trees or rickety buildings or structures so as to avoid falling and/or flying debris.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Bluey,

I know I am a tad late in posting and maybe you have gotten the docking part down by now. I too am a new boat owner (36' Albin, single diesel) and docking was a great source of stress to me and especially my first mate. I discovered this web site created by Bryant Vann, who shall be ever referred to as "Saint Bryant". Here's the URL: http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/Krognidx.htm scroll down about 3/4 of the site to 'section 9'. Article 9.5 really helped me (along with the other docking articles). You will learn about 'goosing' and a 'magic stick' amongst other really helpful techniques.

Just something else to consider is that boats turn from the stern (actually their center of gravity where the engine is mounted). That was a hard concept for me to get initially since it is opposite from driving a car. I had a crusty old charter boat captain yell at me (several times in that 'mentoring tone') about how a boat turns from the stern AND to always use reverse when leaving a pier where you are 'parallel parked'.

Good luck,
Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Thanks for the link. Very good information there. I'll contact the author and ask permission to post in our document library.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Hey Bluey, did you get down to Tilghman Island Day last month? Talk to the watermen who take part in the docking contest. They can give some pointers.
Wild!
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”