• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heat Exchanger cleaning question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Heat Exchanger cleaning question

Post by rebuckley »

I found a dealer with caps and brackets - it is where I got my HX for the generator from (a little cheaper than the one I saw on amazon). http://www.mrcool.us

Very helpful shop - I sent in a question and they called me right away to help answer - shipment of the HX was very fast as well.

Reb
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Barnacle Buster did the trick very well. Didn't need the .22 cal. cleaning kit; (gave it to a gun-owning neighbor). Now getting new zinc holder brazed onto body of HX, and 2 new drain-cocks - just because it needs them.

For Chesapeake Bay AOGers, I have found a fully-equipped full-service "proper" shop in Edgewater MD. They can fabricate and / or repair most heavy metal workings on most boats.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I've also used Barnacle Buster with good success. Best results are if you circulate the stuff through the entire raw water circuit. I use a 5 gal bucket and a small submersible bilge pump. Output from the pump goes to the intake side of the engine's raw water pump. Fit a hose to the discharge side of the heat exchanger, just before the exhaust mixing elbow and dump the fluid from there back into the bucket. Be sure to remove the impeller from the raw water pump before you start. You'll be amazed at the crud that ends up in the bucket. I like this method because it cleans the whole circuit, not just the heat exchanger.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ben423 wrote:Output from the pump goes to the intake side of the engine's raw water pump.....
If the impeller is not due for servicing you can connect to the outlet side of the raw water pump and not remove the impeller.
Ben423 wrote:I like this method because it cleans the whole circuit, not just the heat exchanger.
Arguments could be made both ways as to the benefits of flushing the complete loop vs. pulling the components and bench servicing them. At some point the latter should still be considered including pressure testing.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”