• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery management/perko switches

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Battery management/perko switches

Post by RobS »

Shutting the battery switch when you leave the boat is only going to mask your problem, not solve or correct it.

Your battery charger, likely a 30 amp charger, should easily keep up with anything you may have left on accidentally, such as lights, or you choose to leave on intentionally, like a 12V fridge and courtesy lighting.

Excluding momentary equipment such as the bow thruster & windlass, I can't think of anything on the DC side that would cause dead batteries when the charger is on and functioning properly. Do you have flooded (wet cell) batteries? Have you checked them to be sure they aren't dried out? Have you checked voltage with a voltmeter with the charge ON vs. OFF.

The battery switch is on the forward most bulkhead under the center hatch at the helm. It's back to back with the battery switches under the cabin step. How long have you owned your Albin?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Battery management/perko switches

Post by catalina_mike »

My lead from the alternator went to the starter cable. So this means whatever battery is being used by the switch under the step will only get charged. I ran a separate cable from the alternator to a battery charging device (ProMariner). This device charges the starting battery first then the house or other batteries if more than two are installed (model specific). So far everything is working good and allows piece of mind knowing that no matter what position the battery switch is in the starting battery is ready to start the engine!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”