• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Turbo Wash

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Turbo Wash

Post by Russell »

Is turbo wash recommended for Cummins engines too?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes, that or a home made cleaner will clean any intake system, esp needed with a sea water cooled aftercooler. The cold water makes the oily intake mist condenseand it sticks to the inner walls reducing airflow, also sticks to the turbo impeller blades. Every few years that buildup needs to be cleaned out.
The home made formula is described a few posts up.
You can read about it on boatdiesel.com as well.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

sweetwater wrote:Thanks Capt Paul...If the drain is out of the after cooler when running...wouldnt you get a lot of raw water being pumped out? Cant wait to try this in the spring..
I haven't tried a turbo wash yet, but I'm sure he's talking about removing the condensate drain plug from the AIR SIDE of the aftercooler, not a drain on the raw water side.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Thanks Scuba Pete, don't think I have seen that drain... Gotta take a look.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Jleonard and Scuba Pete.

Yes , it definately woud be the condensate drain, it was just spitting out condensation and even some of the turbo wash. its on the bottom of the aftercooler almost in line with the turbo intake looks like a zinc . Look at page 44 of the operations manaul, which you can download from this site here: download/file.php?id=402
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

JLeonard, I know you are pretty knowledgeable about Cummins engines but I want to make sure about spraying soap water in the air intake. It seems crazy to me and my engine shop manual does not mention it. I suppose it will get vaporized during combustion. The aftercooler on my engine has coolant rather than sea water but it still seems that a wash might have some benefit after 2400 hours. Should I do it?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I did mine, it was also the jacket cooled version. They talk about doing this all the time on www.boatdiesel.com
Think of a pickup truck (like the one I had for 9 years) with a Cummins 6BT running 70 mph behind a tractor trailer on a rainy day. Trust me my engine would be sucking in more water than you can ever spray in with a spray bottle.
Those were always the days the truck would run like a scalded ape. :D
Performance truck guys run water injection for more power. (they actually prefer windshield washer fluid)
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”