• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Batteries

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

mhanna wrote:I guess I was getting carried away, 6 blades not 8 and 10% power not 20% :oops: ... I did buy the new prop last year during the summer from defender marine.
Item Description: VETUS 6 BLADE REPLACEMENT PROP
Item Number: 300065
Quantity Ordered: 1
Price Each: $64.95

I have not put it in, but will before launch. There was a thread on it
http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... op&start=0

I am hoping for a little less noise and a little less electric draw.
BTW, I tried to pickup shear pins from defender late last year, I think Vetus has stopped doing biz with them. I had to go to Jamestown and they more expensive... Defender had pins for $10, Jamestown wanted $17. Not that $7 will kill me but I think it was more than Vetus list price. Seeing your prop cost....
Anyone else know of a US Vetus distributer ?

Matt
Just a note of caution. I purchased the new prop from Defender last spring and proceeded to install it only to find it was a a wee bit larger than the existing 3 bladed one that I was replacing. Unless the the existing thruster is installed perfectly the 6 blade will not fit. Apparently when mine was installed the blade shaft was slightly off center, just enough to prevent the new blade to spin. I returned the new blade to Defender without any problems. I spoke with Vetus when I had the problem and they were the ones that advised me of what was the off center problem. I replaced the old 3 blade prop and just live with the noise.

Joe H
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

A search on Defender reveals 3 blade Vetus props only, no 6's. And the 3 blades are on clearance.

Jamestown's site has the 6 blade prop for $108 for the thruster model 50 or $91 for the 55 model. Difference in cost is likely due to the model 50 using a two piece collet.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

On the topic of electronics dropping out when starting the engine, I always had this problem even with new batteries until I discovered this by chance last year: I had all my navigation electronics on the "nav" circuit, which is controlled by a single switch on the helm panel. Albin had run this circuit up to the helm overhead area with #12 ga wire.

When I was installing an autopilot I upped the gauge from #12 to #10 on the very short jumper wire from the main (switched) DC bus behind the helm to the "nav" helm panel switch. Now none of my overhead electronics drop out when starting the engine, even on one battery. Just the reduction in voltage drop by going from 12 ga to 10 ga on about 12" of wire did the trick.

Every 28 TE is probably wired somewhat different, but if you can trace down the circuit on which your running your electronics with things like voltage drop and ampacity of your 12V wiring in mind (or even more likely corrosion present somewhere), you might be able to improve things.

One more of life's little frustrations solved to make room for more!
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Merry Kate: That is a great tip, thanks. I just assumed there was a circuit similar to those in automobiles that cut off all the electronics when engaging the ignition. I hope this fix will work on my boat.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”