• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Helm station

Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Share your guy!

Post by Legacy »

Hi Ric. Might be time to share your guy Dave with the rest of us for projects we don't dare undertake!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Dave

Post by Pitou »

RicM wrote: He has more tools than I do and and a lot more cojones when it comes to boat improvement projects.
My thoughts exactly when I saw this thread! :shock: He's the man :!:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Progress

Post by RicM »

Excellent weekend dudes! Trying mightily to cast off the shackles of winter we decided that we can only do so is with hard work and rum! I work like a fiend all day Sat to re-deploy radar cable from helm station to nav side as existing radar dome will not plug into new Furuno 10" display. The old 7" display will still run radar and share with 10" over ethernet network. I go to places I've never been to before in my boat and at one point find myself completely submerged in the port storage hatch with only my feet on deck. At that point I realize I have no way to get out! I start to wonder if I can reach my cell phone to call for help. At that moment assorted junk on deck collapses over my feet and provides me with something to grab to lift myself out of the bilge, salvation! Meanwhile, Dave is busy in his Sharon MA workshop.
The cherry panels are being shaped, 3 pieces each of cathedral pattern cherry glued together.
They are shaped and finishing commences.
Sunday Dave decides that Albin's wiring practices are not up to ABYC standards and cuts all the wires off my AC/DC panel. I try not to freak as things that were supposed to be reassembling by this time are still descending into chaos. Stripping and crimping like mad men the wiring behind the nav station begins to take shape and take on a sensical order. The wires we knicked (see above) are spliced and reorganized, DC with DC, AC with AC. Quaker Eddy stops by (so named for his avoidance of rum) and pronounces all is good. Being a union electrician (even though he runs a sailboat) we decide that his visit comprises an electrical inspection. A strategy for an alarm system is embraced, as in another minor design issue Albin's have no way of protecting what will finally amount to about $7000 worth of electronics.
I love working on the Albin. After my old boat, a 95 Proline 251 walkaround, there is so much space and things are so much more logical (and less corroded). Did I mention that Dave did electronic cabling for NASA? We burn through cable ties and ring connectors like fat ladies use potato chips.
The wiring is complete and it is time for a treat. We put the new panels in place to gaze in awe at their wonder.....
A tot of Pyrat rum while we sit back and savour the look that can only remind me of the dash of a Bentley or Rolls. Maybe this is going to be worth it after all! Next problem, who makes the first cut in the cherry panels? Hand me the sawzall Dave. The Furuno 1920 CNT arrives Tuesday! Time to go shopping for new gauges! I sense that an upgrade in the wheel and seating may be necessary to match the rest of the decour. Any suggestions from the group?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Very nice looking Ric. Dave better get a good disguise or he's going to be besieged by Albin owners looking for upgrades. BTW - Let me be first in line!

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

A custom (ie. Dave) cherry pirate wheel would go nicely. Capt. Morgan kind of thing. Don't think that's an off the shelf item.
I noticed the panagraph? wiper on the center window, can you tell me anything about who makes it. Do you like/dislike it. Looks like the stock motor just a different arm.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pantagraph wiper

Post by RicM »

You can order them from West or Boaters' World. They are about $80. Yes it's the stock motor. Pain in the A$$ to put on though. you need to drill a second hole to mount the bracket for second arm, then it's trial and error to get the sweep, angle, and position all correct with several overlapping adjustments. The increased sweep area is maybe 20%. Not really worth it to be honest with you.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

I would fiberglass and matt the back side of the boards. For sure if you did not pin or biscuit the joints. Once you cut out for the electronics you will be losing most of your surface area on the glued joints. You could find the joints will break on installation. A thin matt and resin would go along way to protect that from happening. I already had that experience when I made mine for the 28. It is pictured on this sight in helms too.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

joints

Post by RicM »

I don't know the technical terms for the joints, but Dave did some kind of fancy ones, I forget what he called them. There's also a piece of birch plywood laminated to the back of each panel, I think 3/8", to secure, prevent warpage, and provide dimensional stability. I'm pretty sure Dave knows what he's doing. He has completely restored a 1965 Egg Harbor (all wood). His family's safety depends on his woodworking skill.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

upon review

Post by RicM »

Terry,
I checked out your (very nice) photos on the 28 Express thread and I see what you mean. We have had to divert some from the original layout (see top of this thread) because the Furuno 1920 is much deeper than I thought. We will have to move that unit away from the edges a bit to get clearance in the back, which will also help structural stability. We are hoping to try final layout this weekend (no cutting yet).
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

It sounds like you did it right.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Panel Integrity

Post by RicM »

Went to visit my panels at Dave's finishing room, and yes, the joints are bisquited. They have 5 coats of finish on them and next they get wet sanded and polished.
I took the Furuno 1920 down to the boat today to check clearance to the rear, and hallelujah! It's going to fit with no sawing of walls. Minor adjustment to the strip of wood across the top of the access panel opening should give me a good 1/2" clearance from the rear of the unit.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Getting it together

Post by RicM »

Enjoyed a busy evening and excellent dinner at Dave (& Ramie's) home in Sharon MA last night. It was crunch time. ie time to cut the holes in the new panels. They are really beautiful, they look like the dashboard of a Rolls or Bently! We then got to lay the gauges in the holes and dream of the season to come. Sorry the pic is not better, I just had the iPhone with me.

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Keeping her long?

Post by Legacy »

So I'm betting you aren't flipping her anytime soon! Looks terrific and can't wait to see her in Boston.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We then got to lay the gauges in the holes and dream of the season to come.
Beautiful!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks!

Post by RicM »

I'm looking forward to showing them off in June, and no, I'll not be flipping her anytime soon. This is (short of winning the lottery) the perfect boat for Karen & I at this time in our lives, in this economy, considering the time we have to spend, and the fishing we love to do. From an hour after work to a week long cruise it seems to do everything we want and more. Hoping to splash May 1, although I might not have the auto-pilot plumbed in, I think I can find my way to the slip without it. It just amazes me that such a great product as the Albin TE series has been let go by the boards.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”