• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500 - FYI

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500

Post by dkirsop »

Ah yes, the Albin family photo starring Sweden's smallest (e.g. shortest) family.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Actually two other A25's on Seattle C-List too, both with trailers, one with sail rig plus one other 28TE and a Vega 27 sailboat. Albin bonanza!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm going by to have a look. The seller can't float it, so I'm going to have to either buy or pass on the way it's sitting. I talked to the seller. He seems knowledgeable but the boat needs some work.
I did an email exchange with the seller too. The "must sell" thing is a money crunch issue, which I feel for them. No trailer & it hasn't had a bottom job in 6 years, but other than that & the transom hatch issue it appears to be mostly turn key. Having good cushions that don't need recovering saves thousands. Canvas looks a little rough & still has the stock open roof over the wheelhouse but does have pretty good electronics including radar & Garmin chartplotter plus fridge & diesel cabin heater. Comes with an older inflatable dinghy. The 4 stroke outboard alone is worth $800. Plus it has the same trusty Yanmar 3GM30F as our boat. You could not repower a free-for-the-taking project boat with a dead engine for less than $9,500, let alone cosmetic restoration. Tough times these days for a young couple with family on the way (mother to be in the video obviously "with child"). I suggested he should try to hold onto it at all costs & not let it go if it can be helped, even if he has to lay it up in low cost storage somewhere for a few years. Eventually when kids get old enough their best memories of growing up with Dad will be times out on the water & that he'll never find a more economical to operate family cruising boat for less than $30K. Certainly was the case with me and my late father while growing up in NJ & going out fishing & tonging scallops on Barnegat Bay in the old man's home built clam boat (powered by a 1937 Chrysler car engine). Invited him to join AOG. Hope he does.

WillieC, would you consider helping him transport to storage with your trailer if he asked?

BarnegatBayBoat.jpg

Dad with my Aunt Betty getting ready to go boating in 1986. In that picture he was ten years younger than I am now.
Dad and Betty 1986.jpg

Granddad's boat, which I never got to go out on. Not sure but that may be my Dad holding the fishing pole.

IMG_0154.JPG

Showed him this picture of the sales brochure & imagine family times like this.
20180721_195044.jpg
Your grandfathers boat looks a lot like “Caprice” from the book the Curve of Time”

I hope he does keep it and have good times with the kids. This is why I bought mine, and doing pretty much a refit of it. My two little ones son 2 and the little girl is 9 months. I’m planning manny years of fun onboard. I’m lucky as I have a new trailer as well as a mooring in Rockland harbor to keep mine on. Hoping for at least a short cruise around the harbor this fall!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Just reviewed the craigslist ad again. Listed as sold at asking price.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just reviewed the criagslist ad again. Listed as sold at asking price
Yeah, just got a note from JD the seller to that effect. Good for him that it sold fast for full price, sad that they had to let it go at such a bargain price. But it was priced to sell & they needed the money. He said it went to a nice young family with kids looking to upsize from a small sailboat. Speaking of sailboats the same page had listed a 27 ft Albin Vega sailboat but that's dropped off too since this morning. The other two Albin 25's are still there, a 1973 in Port Townsend with 4 cyl Westerbeke engine & later version sail rig, that is mast stepped a foot or so ahead of the windshield which means it probably has a compression post in the cabin, No interior photos with that one. And a 1975 DeLuxe with rebuilt MD3B down in Carmichael, CA near Sacramento. Both with trailers & mostly stock & neither with complete hard tops. The DeLuxe had custom made wood dorade box cowl vents on the cabin top & hacked up galley cabinets with Dickenson Blackstone diesel galley stove that had been removed removed. In storage for 35 years, semi-project boat.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I didn’t realize there was a early and late version sailing rig. Difference being the compression post or lack of one?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Good deal on repowered A25 in Seattle $9500 - FYI

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Yes there are two slightly different mast rig versions. With the earlier one like our boat the mast is stepped right up against the windshield with a wooden fillet or gusset brace added on the cabin overhead directly under it & no compression post. Also the forestay attaches just ahead of the deck hatch instead of at the bow stem. The later version moved the mast step a foot or two forward on the cabin top right over where the galley ends & settees begin. Also adds a chrome steel compression post at the back edge of the removable dining table. The forestay attachment point is moved forward out to the point of the bow. Not sure if the boom lengths or mast heights are the same.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Thank you for that info, always happy to learn something. Mine must be the late version as I have the compression post with integrated table
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Love the pic of your Granddad's boat. I've always really liked that high bow design, and apart from the obvious "They ain't fast enough" response, don't know why the design went out of style.
The roominess below is alone worth noting, and all of that lovely fore-deck space ..... . I would love something like that. Thanks for posting
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Ok, we're baack!! Barely escaped the Hog fire in NoCal...they closed the roads we use to return home right after we got out.

Sure! I'll help the guy out! Oh, what? Sold already? Dang!

I thought the transom escape hatch was a folding swim step. Must. Pay. Attention.

So now my thirty thousand dollar boat is now worth nine thou?! Guess I need to drive the wheels off of it...

For that price, somebody got a great boat. We pondered it for a while but I already have a project boat!
amorris364
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Seattle, WA

Post by amorris364 »

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I are the new owners of the 1972 Albin 25 “Sabot.” We are already so in love with this boat and can’t wait to get started on the few projects it needs before getting out on the water. We will certainly be engaging in the transom-hole-filling project very soon as this and engine reliability are our priority. Bottom paint is also on the list...

Unfortunately, and relative to prior discussion on this thread, the sailing rig will be removed from the boat. This was not an original installation, was installed by a previous owner as a stabilizing sail rig, and although I like the idea of the look and function of a stabilizing sail rig, the installation is not correct, no compression post or under deck supports were included in the rig build, and the deck is now being slightly deformed due to compression loads. If anyone is interested in obtaining the rig from us, please reach out.

We are so excited about interacting with some of you owners out there, meeting up in person, and talking boats! We will initially move the boat to Everett, Washington, and are in the process of trying to figure out how to get it up there to the boat yard. We will also be sure to introduce ourselves on the introductions page of this forum. Thanks so much to everyone for providing such amazing information on these great little boats— We’ve read through quite a bit already, and have already found it so helpful!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well absolutely welcome aboard to the world's finest most dedicated group of pocket trawler owners! In the immortal words of Remo Williams, 'The Adventure Begins!'

I imagine closing up that opening will not be an easy job since you're dealing with a curved structural surface. Like WillieC you are fortunate to live near one of the premier cruising grounds in North America.

As for sailing rig we have one for our boat & have used it a couple times, most recently in 2018. It is most useful as a stabilizing sail rig. Even with just the mast without a sail raised it does help dampen the roll rate in beam cross seas due to pendulum effect. Other than that and as an emergency form or propulsion it doesn't do that much to help in the way of speed & fuel economy. That said, if your plans are to keep Sabot in the water & not do a lot of trailering and you wanted to retain the mast for that stabilizing effect and a place to mount the radar dome but not add a compression post here's the drawing plans for the early optional factory sail rig where you could move the mast back to just ahead of the windshield. But be careful, any damage to the windshield could be a problem getting a new one. You'll note that the text on the drawing is in Swedish, but at the top of the drawing is a detail of the wooden reinforcing gusset added to the ceiling inside the cabin directly under the mast. I don't have any photos of that piece at the moment, but it is at the strongest part of the arch structure rather than where the side cabin windows make for weaker structure. Later versions had the mast moved forward, but never meant to be without adding a compression post.

Click on the photo for a zoom in view.
A25 mast install from manual.jpg
That type with mast moved away from the windshield should have a compression post looking something like this. A little intrusive but not too bad. That said the post & the mast should be located at the point even with the front end of the galley & where that little step up is by the settees. The easiest thing of course would be to add a compression post. This photo is off the internet & not our boat.
albincompression post.JPG
We trailer over the road a lot so it's not worth the effort to set up and take the mast down each time for transport. But we did bring it up to Blaine for our 2018 Pacific NW cruise.
20180621_191950.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
obfrosted
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by obfrosted »

Hello,

I'm the other half of the new owners of Sabot. Thanks so much for the sail rig info. We will give it some thought!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"Sabot" is an interesting name choice. Wonder how previous owner came up with that?
A sabot (UK: /sæˈboʊ, ˈsæboʊ/, US: /ˈseɪboʊ/) is a structural device used in firearm or cannon ammunition to keep a sub-caliber flight projectile, such as a relatively small bullet or arrow-type projectile, in the center of the barrel when fired, if the bullet has a significantly smaller diameter than the bore diameter of the weapon used.
In the marine world "Sabot" is a type of pram style sailing dinghy:
The Sabot is a sailing dinghy that is sailed and raced singlehandedly usually by young sailors in various parts of the world.
sabotdinghy.jpg
Is it pronounced 'say-bot' as in robot or 'say-beau'?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

The hatch in the transom may not be such a bad idea. Especially for somebody, who trailers often and loads and unloads a lot of stuff, when the boat is on the trailer.
Slow Poke A25 #1110

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”