• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 - some revolutionary thoughts?

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A25 - some revolutionary thoughts?

Post by WillieC »

Ssrig. No, that is one of my next projects. That expanse in the cockpit in front of the aftcabin door is the single biggest and underutilized spaces on our boats. I rigged up a large, easily demountable table there where we do all our meals. The galley/forward cabin is for washing dishes and sleeping. Well there's the head too... and the escape hatch we use for securing the anchor when it breaks free in standing waves...

Pics later today.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Ssrig's comment made me remember; I've seen videos on Youtube where sailors have arranged a platform to span the two cockpit seats and make a full width platform. It's often used for sleeping in the cockpit. I believe this concept has been around for some time. I think I can recall reading about it in some of my grandfather's sailing books.

Now, is there any way to turn the cockpit into a jacuzzi?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Oh yes. Cross the Strait of Georgia in less than optimal conditions. Water might not be warm enough.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

nebulatech wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:01 am What Bob is secretly trying to suggest is that you sell your boat to him and buy a bigger one!
My A25 dream is deferred for a couple of years. Events this year have not cooperated. But, Manatee certainly looks to be a nice original boat.

Best thing for sunsetrider is to do like the SuperSuper yachts and have a second A25 to tow behind. One can be the bedroom Albin and one the lounge Albin.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

ssrig wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 pm WThe 2”x6” sat on a small wood ledge at the edge of the existing cockpit seats. I think this is similar to what willieC alluded to?
Looking forward to see Willie\c pics - do you happen to have a shot of your set-up?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I would 3rd Desert Albin’s suggestion for those folding chairs you can get at West Marine. Had to buy a second so that guests have good options. In open water I will set the auto-pilot and put one of those up on top of the aft cabin with my legs hanging into the cockpit. I can see the gauges, 360 view, and good breeze - it’s my favorite place.

At the dock they find their way to the bow for sunsets and drinks.

I’m in an A27, but I think this works with an A25
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Sunsetrider wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:16 pm
ssrig wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 pm WThe 2”x6” sat on a small wood ledge at the edge of the existing cockpit seats. I think this is similar to what willieC alluded to?
Looking forward to see Willie\c pics - do you happen to have a shot of your set-up?
No sorry I dont have any pics of it set up, almost the only thing I dont have pics of! But it was a simple setup, I might have some images of the support ledge somewhere on my thread here:http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 28&t=11164

and the chair that was on top: http://www.albinowners.net/aog/download ... &mode=view

All the 2x6 pieces were cut at an angle and spanned across the cockpit, if I were to do something similar I might use some 3/4"plywood and cut to fit across the same area, it looks like the small ledge on my boat has been there a while but maybe not, it certainly would make a nice spot to lay down!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Here are my pics: Click on pics to orient.
IMG_2467.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Sounds like a "JT" project where you take the dinette out in favor of a livable head. It's all about comfort.

I have not had the experience yet to give a yay or nay to the aft cabin as a primary sleeping quarters. Seems do-able but it is often repurposed as a storage space for cruisers. No offense to those that do. We all have to make do with what we have.

I second much of what Willie C posted. I will add that my brother-in-law just sold his 36" Grand Banks trawler with twin diesels last year. He offered it to me for $12k. I think it was worth many times that - it was a gorgeous, solid boat and everything worked. Bottom line: He needed out and I didn't want anything that wouldn't fit on a trailer next to my garage. Even my 27FC "Bunkie" pressed the limits of that, having to rely on a hauler to put on stands next to my garage - I had no trailer.

So, I now have an A25. On a trailer. Next to my garage.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

All I want for additional furniture is a pair (one for wife) of cushions with a 30-69-90-degree profile do I don't have to stack up four throwable cushions in order to lean back against the aft cabin bulkhead.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

NickScheuer wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:14 pm All I want for additional furniture is a pair (one for wife) of cushions with a 30-69-90-degree profile do I don't have to stack up four throwable cushions in order to lean back against the aft cabin bulkhead.
After all this "design" thinking, that is where I will likely end up - especially with these sore shoulders from the annual hull-polishing just completed (launch this week). But where to find??
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I'm thing of sourcing at a custom upholstery shop. We have a good one nearby.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

If you mean wedge shaped cushions, I believe gymnastics equipment makers may have foam already in that shape. A quick google search yielded these, I something like this on track?

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/cando-p ... wedge.html
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I would like something that will hold it's selected recline position.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Perhaps some fasteners could be attached? I know they make velcro tape with adhesive, but that might not last.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”