• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Would an A25 fit in a 40' shipping container....

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Re: Would an A25 fit in a 40' shipping container....

Post by Bob Noodat »

dkirsop wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 am My owner's manual lists the total height of the boat as 9 feet from the deepest part of the keel to the base of the mast support. That would be the folding wooden mast on top of the pilot house.
Yes, the container idea has evaporated. Other good suggestions though. Thanks for the datum point.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

DCatSea wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:24 am You're very welcome. I haven't put anything freight-wise on a train, but am a huge believer in rail travel and freight transport. There's nothing like a couchette on the DC to San Diego run, via Chicago, Denver and SLC. Even the humble commuter train (not Acela) from DC to NYC is a blast. Love the Coaster from San Diego to Oceanside (and it's so cheap). DC to Charleston is a great run and gets you there almost as fast as a commuter plane (taking in ground transportation, TSA, and associated security measures). My trusty mate tells me the San Diego to Vancouver train is spectacular. We just take our own food and drinks as the modern Dining Car/Cafe is but a distant relative of how it used to be. We're hoping to do the NYC to Vancouver run sometime.
Regarding freight, CSX runs regular tank, flatbed and container trains through Alexandria, and they are always a treat to see, carrying containers from all over the country and the World.
Last Xmas we drove 66/40 which has rail lines running along much of its length, especially in the Plains and West. Fabulous doesn't describe it for me.
Couchette.... aren't those the strange things French people have in their bathrooms that you sit on to wash your never-minds with? I thought they were a low water fountain when I first saw one. One in the eye for me.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I believe the Albin-25 beam measures exactly 8'-0". Of course "close" only counts in horseshoes, so if it's a fraction of an inch over, you'd have to trim the gunwale flange. The drawings in the Owner's Manual back that up, close anyway, they are not meant to be all that accurately scaled.

I always yearned to ship my Shearwater Yawl to Amsterdam in a container. Her beam measured 7'-6" and her bottom was utterly flat so she would rest nicely on a piece of salvaged carpet. Length was 28', and her main mast not much longer, so no prob there.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

NickScheuer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:02 am I believe the Albin-25 beam measures exactly 8'-0". Of course "close" only counts in horseshoes, so if it's a fraction of an inch over, you'd have to trim the gunwale flange. The drawings in the Owner's Manual back that up, close anyway, they are not meant to be all that accurately scaled.

I always yearned to ship my Shearwater Yawl to Amsterdam in a container. Her beam measured 7'-6" and her bottom was utterly flat so she would rest nicely on a piece of salvaged carpet. Length was 28', and her main mast not much longer, so no prob there.
Since a container is 8' wide outside, the resulting interior width is only 7'8". That would require major surgery. I did think the A25 width was about 8'4" though, but don't recall where I read that.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”