• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

An important lesson in intercooler maintenance.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: An important lesson in intercooler maintenance.

Post by REBMystic »

Hi folks. I know this is an old post. Wondering if the leak into the air side produced some white smoke. I'm currently chasing down some smoke issues. Thx!
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I was chasing down some white smoke but that was after the intercooler service.

After a significant amount of work which included a new cylinder head ( story behind that in another thread ) and £14,000 later I have very little smoke now, just some on start up. White smoke is usually unburnt fuel particles if it is on tickover. Fuel quality can play a major part in it and sometimes an additive can solve the problem.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REBMystic »

Tree wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:27 am I was chasing down some white smoke but that was after the intercooler service.

After a significant amount of work which included a new cylinder head ( story behind that in another thread ) and £14,000 later I have very little smoke now, just some on start up. White smoke is usually unburnt fuel particles if it is on tickover. Fuel quality can play a major part in it and sometimes an additive can solve the problem.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yea, ill be working on this. I did the injectors and no change. My stbd engine smokes white on startup. The port does not. After the engine warms up, it reduces quite a bit. When fishing, turning off engines and drifting, I can restart after 30 min and very little smoke. Additionally, the stbd engine can get to 4000rpm in neutral, but only 3550 under load. The port is good and can get to 3800. So any tips on what to check next. I'm debating if this winter I do the work this winter to pull the engines for a full work over. Gotta find the shop who has the time to do this...
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I’d look at fuel pump and when we’re the valves last adjusted?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REBMystic »

Tree wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:11 am I’d look at fuel pump and when we’re the valves last adjusted?
Will do. No idea when last done Second season with this boat so I am working my way through things. Now that I have used it a bit this summer, I have had to top off coolant level. So one more clue (or different issue?! ). Also, my STBD engine waivers a bit in RPM when I'm up at speed. The port is rock solid within +/- 10 RPM, but the STBD can waiver a few hundred rpm. I can hear the turbo change frequency when it happens.

And, on top of it, yesterday I had high temp exhaust alarm on the stbd, so shut it down and got home on port. going to the boat tonight to check the raw water impeller. SW strainer was clean. fun fun! :D
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”