• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing Wallas Stove in an A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Installing Wallas Stove in an A25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Having a tank deck mounted outside where vapors wouldn't have a path to flow into enclosed spaces (propane gas heavier than air) would be ok. The key is properly venting to atmosphere.
Our boat came with a decidedly non marine grade Coleman propane camp stove. The DPO (dreaded previous owner) had run a gas hose down, under, and across to that space outboard of the helm station (see thread about the A/C install, that's where I'm talking about) to a regulator & small propane tank. No vented locker, no solenoid shut off. He had installed a gas detector near the bottom of hanging closet in the cabin, but that was the sum total of safety precautions. Ripping that sucker out was one of the first things I did, along with chopping 16" off the ridiculously long anchor bow sprit.
DSCN1242.JPG
DSCN1244.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

When my ship comes in...not an A25, I'll be upgrading to the Wallas with the heater option. I'm expecting the whole ship to arrive at the same time. There is no end to the upgrades on these fine boats.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Yes, that Wallas with the heater is an attractive option. It’s pricey sure, but when you consider the cost of all the extra equipment needed for an LP installation (vented locker, remote valves, detectors) it doesn’t compare too badly.

It would be great to have that heat to extend the season, but we sleep in the aft cabin. I wonder if you could pipe the warmed air back with ducted fans?
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Lovely indeed is the Wallas with heater, but for an aft cabin it is not. Webasto or Espar or Ersatzosprächer for the aft cabin.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

It would be great to have that heat to extend the season, but we sleep in the aft cabin. I wonder if you could pipe the warmed air back with ducted fans
I suppose with an A27 sleeping in aft cabin would be more practical than the small A25 aft cabin. The PO's of our boat used to sleep in the aft cabin. I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but naaaawh, I don't thinks so. Aft cabin is for gear stowage. Main cabin with 4" foam cushions, center section filled in is much better for sleeping. During the day the bedding gets rolled up toward the bow, the center section stowed away & cabin turns back into regular settees. Come bed time put the center section back in & roll out the bedding. The A27 has that dinette that you have to deal with.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm Having a tank deck mounted outside where vapors wouldn't have a path to flow into enclosed spaces (propane gas heavier than air) would be ok. The key is properly venting to atmosphere.
Our boat came with a decidedly non marine grade Coleman propane camp stove. The DPO (dreaded previous owner) had run a gas hose down, under, and across to that space outboard of the helm station (see thread about the A/C install, that's where I'm talking about) to a regulator & small propane tank. No vented locker, no solenoid shut off. He had installed a gas detector near the bottom of hanging closet in the cabin, but that was the sum total of safety precautions. Ripping that sucker out was one of the first things I did, along with chopping 16" off the ridiculously long anchor bow sprit.
DSCN1242.JPG
DSCN1244.JPG
Thank you for sharing Steve. If one were to use the default Coleman setup (with the little green bottle) and store the bottle in a deck locker when not in use, I would imagine that would greatly reduce the risk of propane accumulation. Then again, every time you attach and detach, a little gas leaks out. Since propane is heavier than air, I would imagine it would accumulate over time until one had a dangerous situation on their hands.

Apart from it moving around, this single burner might be a nice choice:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/origo-alcohol- ... 3842478485

I spent three weeks crewing aboard a vessel with this type of alcohol stove:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wilcox ... 4168795351
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I spent three weeks crewing aboard a vessel with this type of alcohol stove:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wilcox ... 4168795351
That's some real "steam punk" stuff! :shock:
steampunk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”