• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

winterization

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Saltdog »

One other thing, and I apologize in advance if this has already been answered: How do I get antifreeze into the intake hose for the head. I understand putting antifreeze directly into the head then pumping some into the empty holding tank, and some overboard to fill the overboard hose, but how do I get antifreeze into the head intake hose?

Thanks

TS
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Saltdog wrote:One other thing, and I apologize in advance if this has already been answered: How do I get antifreeze into the intake hose for the head. I understand putting antifreeze directly into the head then pumping some into the empty holding tank, and some overboard to fill the overboard hose, but how do I get antifreeze into the head intake hose?

Thanks

TS
You can disconnect the intake hose from the sea cock and insert it into a pan/bottle of anti-freeze and pump it through the head (and then into your holding tank, 2 birds with one stone!). Or, once you've been hauled (or if you're doing al of your winterizing on the hard) you can disconnect the raw water line from the head, open the sea cock and just pour anti-freeze into the line. A final option, if your head is configured like mine, would be to find a length of plastic hose that fits into the raw water through hull (mine doesn't have a protective grate over it), insert one end into a jug of anti-freeze and jam the other end into the thru-hull, and pump anti-freeze through the line.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Winterization

Post by Saltdog »

Mariner, Where is the best place to purchase one of those dehumidifiers that you mentioned? Also I thought that a dehumidifier took moisture out of the air and therefore usually have a water pan or a drain. How do you drain the water?

Also you mentioned a 75 watt light bulb. Is there a reason that you don't use a 100 watt bulb?

Thanks

TS
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Not much on light bulbs....just being in the fire service my whole life I've seen a number of garages, dog houses, sheds and homes burn to the ground by people using exposed light bulbs to keep pipes from freezing or to keep pets warm.

I have one of these on my boat that I use when I leave the boat. I screwed two salt treated 2x2's to the back of it for "feet"..

It uses a ceramic heater in lieu of a " light bulb".
I use the 150 Watt Ceramic in the Houndheater I.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/houndheateri.html#more
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Winterization

Post by Mariner »

Saltdog wrote:Mariner, Where is the best place to purchase one of those dehumidifiers that you mentioned? Also I thought that a dehumidifier took moisture out of the air and therefore usually have a water pan or a drain. How do you drain the water?
That's the strange thing about these, they don't accumulate any water. I swear I have no idea how they work. You can buy them at West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=380
Also you mentioned a 75 watt light bulb. Is there a reason that you don't use a 100 watt bulb?
25% energy savings
TonyAmalfitano

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

I do not put anti-freeze in my fresh water system. I blow the water out with low air pressure. What little water remains in the system will not hurt anything if it freezes. The only time water does damage when it freezes is because ice expands and tears things apart if it doesn't have room to expand. Take your house plumbing, pipes full of water, heat goes off, water in the pipes freeze, the expanding ice pushes fittings apart, or cracks the pipe. Lawn sprinkler systems are blown out with air. Why not a boat.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We use air to get the water out of the plumbing on the docks at the marina. It works very well.
team one
Mate
Mate

Post by team one »

Great advice, it seems easy to disconnect the hoses from the thru hulls but there just isn't enough room to put a bucket of nontoxic antifreeze near the end of the hose. I came up with a solution this weekend. Took a washer machine hose 2 female ends,one end is connected to a copper pipe could be plastic with a 90o bend. Purchased a 5/8 to hose connector and clamped it on the boat hose I was working on., clamp is right there. Stuck the copper pipe into a 1 gal bottle of antifreeze. turn on applicable pump, done, remove the 5/8 hose connector and reconnect to thru hull, move on to the next system. The washer machine hose gives you an extra 4 ' so you can position the bottle. Obviously the hose connector could be 3/4 etc. Boat is staying on water all winter, yikes! don't forget to shut the valve if boat is in water! I knew that!

I also used the system to drain my fresh water tank, using a utility pump. seemed to be faster than my fresh water pump on the boat.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”