• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Black sooty/bilge water

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Black sooty/bilge water

Post by RobS »

Good deal. The fix is the easy part, just be sure the “why” is adressed too. Probaby a poor exhaust design took out the turbo. I do recall your repower was such that the wet elbow was direct off the turbo without the dry bend that the 6LPs were fitted with from Albin. As to the oil pan..leaky shaft seal?

Would be great to start a new thread on this. Maybe John or Doug could spilt this and start a new one..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

The shaft seal came up as a cause for the leak. It appears that it was leaking and with shaft turning it was spraying salt water over the oil pan. In regards to the turbo, they feel that cooling after settle in the turbo and after time it rusted out the turbo housing. I will talk to the mechanic about your thoughts on the turbo.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

DSCN1522.JPG
Attached are pixs of the 315 out of boat. Well at least I can check out all the hoses, bilge pumps, get rid of the oil and
DSCN1524.JPG
DSCN1521.JPG
paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I sent pictures of m my turbo to Mack Boring to ask them what they thought. The response was a severe carbon build up in the turbo housing. To eliminate this, they recommended that I run the engine at full throttle for 30 minutes to burn off the carbon. Another suggestion was to gun the engine at the dock, (not in gear) several times to burn off at excess carbon.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Serenity - Yes - turbos need to be run under pressure every time to help reduce carbon build up. Whenever our little flotilla goes on our longer cruises - most of my other buddies will keep the slow pace with me - but run them up to full every couple of hours to burn that nasty carbon out of their turbos.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”