• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

La Dolce Vita has new owners

Albin's "power cruisers"
NoETA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Tahoe NV

La Dolce Vita has new owners

Post by NoETA »

By way of introduction, Dave and Liz Thomson have bought DA736 from Steve and Helen Eshleman 09/06/24. She's in beautiful shape and shows that she has been well-loved over the years. We're planning a shakedown cruise next week, and then we will tow her to our home in Carson City, NV, another "Desert Albin" port.

We're both retired, Liz from health care management and Dave from electronics engineering. Dave has owned a succession of sailboats, a Cape Dory Typhoon, a Cape Dory 30' Cutter, and a Tanzer 22, which we used to trailer and sail all five of the Great Lakes. As we have aged out of the rigors of deckwork on a sailboat, we have found the Albin 25 to be the perfect fit. We're looking forward to cruising the Northern Puget Sound for the next few years.

Many thanks to Steve for his continued support for the transaction and the excellent documentation and attention to detail to make this transition successful.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: La Dolce Vita has new owners

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, Dave and Liz, and congratulations! No question that you bought a great boat!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Oh the places you will go!

Congratulations.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

You're very welcome Dave & Liz! Glad to see you on AOG. Rick & Heidi, aka WillieC in Belfair, WA, our buddy boater to Desolation Sound, and Ulf & Elizabeth, aka tribologist in Hartford, CT, our boat buddies on the Erie Canal along with other Albin owners on AOG are great sources of advice and information. We look forward to hearing about you're future adventures in soon to-be-renamed La Dolce Vita. Don't forget to do a proper renaming christening ceremony. You'll never find a better, more friendly, dedicated group of classic antique boat owners than those of Albin 25's & 27's.
My recommendation would be to not limit your cruising grounds to northern Puget Sound, but also, if not next season then later seasons, explore the San Juans, Gulf Islands, towns along the east shore of Vancouver Island such as Victoria, Sydney, Ladysmith, Genoa Bay, Nanaimo, and Comox, as well as the Sunshine Coast & up Jervis Inlet & Princess Louisa Inlet up to Chatterbox Falls, and on up to Desolation Sound (as seen in my video), maybe even the Broughtons which were going to but never made it. I guarantee it will put anything you've seen on the Great Lakes to shame. From what I hear the Great Lakes, except for Apostle Islands, are mostly going from one harbor of refuge to the next. Just remember, in the Pacific Northwest you live & die by the tide tables, because there are some narrow passes and channels you only want to transit at or near slack tide. In the San Juans and Gulf Islands you're never more than a day's run from islands with sheltered bays to anchor in or ports where you can anchor out or take a guest slip. Also there's a great bunch of Albin folks in BC in the Albineers of BC club that holds a series of rendezvous each month in the summer at various ports including Ladysmith, Genoa Bay on Vancouver Island and Telegraph Harbour on Thetis Island and Port Browning on North Pender Island.

A couple of special dates to keep in mind, July 1st, which is Canada Day, and July 4th in Fishermans Bay on Lopez Island in the San Juans. For Canada Day, Sidney on Vancouver Island pulls out all the stops with parades and fireworks and a homemade boat building contest and paddle/row race which is a total hoot. Contestants are given a supply of materials of their choice priced up to a certain limit to be supplied by a sponsoring local lumber company. They then gather at a downtown city park near the water and are given their package of materials and just 4 hours to complete their boats before the race starts. They then build their boats using only hand tools, no powered or cordless saws, drills or other powered tool. Then they launch their homemade jon boats, kayaks, canoes, rafts, or whatever on the beach and paddle a lap around the race course and back to the beach. Some don't make it all the way and end up sinking or swamped along the way, in water that's about 57 degrees.
20160701_115037 (1280x720).jpg
20160701_115110 (1280x720).jpg
20160701_151931 (1280x720).jpg
20160701_162100 (1280x720).jpg
Chatterbox Falls is another must see bucket list destination that we did in 2016. It's at the end of a 40 mile fjord, like Alaska without the glaciers.
20160713_130747.jpg
20160715_123733 (576x1024).jpg
588.JPG

Fishermans Bay is a large sheltered anchorage with lots of room once thru the narrow, shallow entrance channel. There are two small marinas and a nice restaurant near the docks. It's about a 2/3rd mile walk down the paved 2 lane road to Lopez village for groceries, a bakery, and other shops. They do a 4th of July parade and excellent fireworks show. Less crowded & touristy than the main town of Friday Harbor on San Juan Island across San Juan Channel from Lopez. We did the 4th there in 2014 and on our last cruise in the Northwest in 2019.
20190704_193749.jpg
20190704_223945.jpg
I've got to stop now before I regret selling La Dolce Vita. I need to sift thru our years' worth of 100s of photos and make Shutterly hard cover albums of all our great memories.

Next year we want to travel to Europe, either land tours, river cruises, or canal boat rentals. My wife has been to Europe more than once but I've never been further abroad than Mexico & Canada, nor farther from home then Hawaii and Alaska.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Congratulations and welcome! To funny its going back to NV. That should mean it comes with lifetime warranty!! I never ever sell stuff to my neighbors and friends..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”