• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 32+2. Shore, off and gen switch

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Priceless
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Old Saybrook, CT

Albin 32+2. Shore, off and gen switch

Post by Priceless »

What is the purpose of the shore, off and gen switch?? In the off position is the power to the A/C electrical breakers off?? If so how does this switch differ from the main breaker on the panel??
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Re: Albin 32+2. Shore, off and gen switch

Post by GSSeattle »

It is for selecting AC power source: either shore power, generator, or off. The switch is inline before the AC panel, so when that switch is Off, there will be no power to the breaker panel.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

I'd imagine the Generator position on the switch could alternately be used for selecting an inverter if so equipped.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
BarryG
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine

Post by BarryG »

So...people,
I did purchase this 32+2, named Priceless, located in Old Saybrook, CT. I took possession at the end of Aug, 2024. This panel switch issue came up on survey, and of course my new insurance company wants this issue resolved. I have lived with the boat now for a few weeks. I have spoken with some other folks and a local yard mechanic. By appearances, both from the front and back side of the panel, it looks to be original from the factory.

Here is the situation...
The boat has two (2) 30amp shore power cords coming into the boat. One cord (leg), supplies only the Air Conditioning system. The other supplies all the rest of the 110v consumers aboard, outlets, microwave, stove etc. They are labeled "Shore I" and Shore II."

Albin, for some strange reason, decided to provide a power switch for only the Air Con leg (Shore I). That rotatable switch is labeled, "Shore, Off, Gen." The presence of available 110v power, to this "leg" is denoted on the panel, simply by the illumination of a Green LED light. The light is illuminated when switched to "Shore" position and when switched to "Gen", and the light is extinguished when in the "Off" position. Of course the Shore Power cord has to plugged into a live dock pedestal and/or the generator has to be running.

The second "Leg", (Shore II) has a completely different type of "power switching and also "power indicator." For this leg, "Shore II", switching between Shore Power and Gen is accomplished by an "Interlock" slider bar, which blocks one or the other (Shore or Gen) breakers from being "ON" at the same time. In other words, you have to move the "Interlock" slide, up or down to allow either "Shore" or "Gen" breaker to be to be moved to the "ON" position. To select neither breaker, you simply switch them both "OFF". For this leg, available power is indicated by a 110v Power Meter at the top of the panel. No LED indicator light is provided.

To me, it's like Albin designed the Electric Panel poorly. They should have utilized the same system for both legs. Either 2 interlock circuit breakers with 2 110v indicator meters OR 2 panel switches (Shore, Off, Gen) and LED indicator lights to show available 110v power. One or the other! This looks like electrical schizophrenia to me! Also evidently confused the surveyor and created a problem with my insurance.

If anyone has any input or ideas as to why this panel was constructed this way, PLEASE let me know. Thank you all.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

This is exactly the setup I have on my 2001 31TE. The black rotate switch ONLY supplies the Pilot House Air Conditioning. The interlock slider is for the main panel (which also has the cabin AC.) I don't know why they did it this way, but it works and it's safe. I can't parallel my general and shore power. What was the problem your surveyor called out?
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Barry,

I was hoping I could get a look at this before you left Old Saybrook. From what you describe above, along with Rob's comments, this sounds reasonably straight forward. So I'm also wondering what the surveyor found wrong here. It's a little different from the setup on our 35TE, which doesn't have a rotating switch but rather 2 sets of two "interlocked" breakers. The whole idea being that you can't backfeed shorepower from your generator and vice versa.

Any chance of posting a photo? I also don't believe Albin made these panels but bought them from a marine electrical supplier. Have you flipped it open and checked for a label on the back?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

Also note that the upper Shore/Off/Gen switch does not power the battery charger if the slide switches are not activated. I learned that the hard way.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

Off topic, but Old Saybrook related. tonight we watched the swallow murmuring on goose Island on the Connecticut River. Super cool. Anchoring tonight in the cove next to Nott Island near Essex. Very tranquil.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"

Return to “General Discussion”