• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Generator is dead. Anyone converted to batteries only?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palatka, FL

Generator is dead. Anyone converted to batteries only?

Post by Maogwaicat »

Hello all,
We have owned our '05 CB35, for about a year, it was very neglected when we took the vessel and we have spent the past year changing;
*Seat Cushions inside and out
*Eisenglass and Command Bridge Enclosure
*Shower Sump and pump box
*Forward, mid and Shaft Pocket Bilge Pumps
*Holding Tank pump
*Cockpit Shade
*Two 120W Solar Panels on hardtop
*Rebuilt Bowthruster (That was $350 bucks WELL SPENT!)
*Reworked Airconditioning control system
*Reworked Engine Access hatch hinges and installed gas support Strut.

We cruised from Palatka to Marathon and returned in 16 days, staying in yacht club marinas everynight plugged into shore power.. We learned much about the boat and the reasons for having a working generator, which we do NOT have. The current Northern Lights 6kW with 599 hours appears to be locked up and so far unable to rotate. No one in the business seems to have time to troubleshoot and make repairs unless we remove and replace. Replacement has been quoted as above $15K... I would have been willing to spend that previously, but the $Plus-$Plus after purchase that the dealer wants is making me a bit unwilling to embark on putting some Northern Lights Distributer's kid through college in order to enjoy A/C on the odd night when anchored. (Yes, I know that everyone has the right to make a legitimate profit.)

Big question for anyone interested in answering; Has any Albin Owner installed a large capacity Lithium Battery system which replaces a generator? I'm thinking of two 650Amp Hour batteries with any support systems needed. It looks like Dakota Lithiumhttps://dakotalithium.com/product/dl-12 ... h-can-bus/ or Battle Born Batterieshttps://battlebornbatteries.com/product ... d-battery/ have products that can literally replace the noisy and heat generating Northern Lights generator that currently acts as a paper weight in our engine compartment, for less than the Northern Lights $15K.

I would like to hear of some of the other actions Albin Owners have performed in improving our already great boats! Thanks! Darryl C, Cypress Moon. Palatka, Fl.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Generator is dead. Anyone converted to batteries only?

Post by Nancy »

Hi Darryl --

You've made some great repair$ on your boat and have also had some good adventures. I agree that it's time to research whether a generator is worth having vs. changing to lithium batteries. I have no expertise to offer, though. Our Northern Lights genset is working well...knock on wood. Think of all the space you'll gain if you ditch the generator!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maogwaicat »

Thanks, Nancy.
It certainly makes sense to use batteries to replace a generator. Even if I only save a couple BOAT spending units to make this happen it would be well worth the trouble. Dakota Lithium and Battle Born have long warranties on their battery systems, up to something like eleven years. I don't imagine owning this vessel past 2035... Imagine the silence of no diesel genny while anchored! This project will be studied and grokked upon over the summer.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Looking forward to hearing what you figure out.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

When my house AGM dies I plan to go lithium and will add some solar. I have learned some great stuff from this guy on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse Definitely look at his reviews of 12V batteries before purchasing.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maogwaicat »

Thanks for the link, Rob!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”