• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer tongue weight

Albin's "power cruisers"
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Trailer tongue weight

Post by jerridsc »

What are A25 typical trailer tongue weights?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Trailer tongue weight

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Boat + trailer weight of an Albin 25 should be around +/- 6,000 lbs depending on a number of factors included weight of the trailer plus boat and all the fuel, water, gear, etc aboard. Rule of thumb is tongue weight should be around 10% of rig's weight. So 500 to 600 lbs should be the range to shoot for. Fore and aft placement of the boat on trailer and how it's loaded (too heavy aft and too light forward the boat is bad) and the wheelbase from trailer's axles to tongue are the determining factors. I have seen boats on trailers that had insufficient tongue weight fishtail to the point of going out of control and flipping at highway speeds. Don't forget the tow vehicle's weight, wheel base, and towing capacity. You probably don't have too many steep hills in Wisconsin to deal with unlike out in the Intermountain West where 5% and 6% grades are common, but for sure you don't want the tail wagging the dog.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

Thank you DA for the info. Sorry to hear of the selling of your Albin, I understand. I hope your vast knowledge and experience will remain available to all of us here. Stay well, Scott
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Thanks! From on the road, Panguitch, UT
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ