• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Life Jacket Storage

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Life Jacket Storage

Post by chiefrcd »

Interested in where you store your life jackets. I'm carrying 6 pretty large off shore type, two suspender type and one other jacket type. I've been keeping them in a large zippered bag in the quarter berth but it really takes up a lot of room.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

There's not too much you can do given their size. I try to keep as many aboard my boats as they'll legally carry, plus a few spares. What I've done so far on the Albin is keep 4 vests (type III?) stacked up at the rear of the quarter berth and about 6 of the standard orange ones under the v-berth. I have one of those life jacket 'bags' and if I'm going to have a bunch of folks aboard I put the standard ones in the bag and stick it on the quarter berth so I can get them out in a hurry if needed. The bag just looks neater than the white plastic garbage bag I used to use and it's labeled so someone other than me would know what it was.

Just a quick reminder while on the life jacket subject that they must NOT be in their plastic wrap (which some folks do thinking it keeps them neat and clean) if you're inspected or they won't count as being aboard. And if you have an inflatable you'd best be wearing it when you're boarded or it doesn't count either.

Doug
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

This won't work on the 28 hardtop, or any other hardtop but, after years of keeping PFDs in the hanging locker, which is way too far from where they might be needed, I made a net hammock type arrangement which is inside of my 32s half tower. Pull a couple of knots & 10 type 1 PFDs come tumbling down.

The Admiral wasted no time in finding a use for the space created by the evicted PFDs in the hanging locker. She said something to me about making shelves to make even better use of the space & make sure the PFDs never come back inside.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

I have 4 adult and 2 child life jackes in a life jacket bag which fits neatly under the help foot rest.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Posting a pic of this is much easier than trying to explain it. 10 type1 Adults are up there.

It was one of those "Geeze, why didn't we think of doing that alot earlier" type of things like that extra cushion posted earlier.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”