• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LPA-STP (315 hp) pencil zincs

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Big Dave

Yanmar 6LPA-STP (315 hp) pencil zincs

Post by Big Dave »

I recently changed the pencil zincs in my Yanmar 315. Aside from the difficult access on a few, I seem to have one I can't find. The parts supplier says there are 5 but I can only find 4. I found 2 on the oil heat exchanger and 2 on the cooling water heat exchanger. Anybody know where the 5th one is?
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zincs 6LPA

Post by N4QC »

Check out the following forum entry on YanmarHelp.com. It may give you a clue as to where the zincs are...

http://www.freeboards.net/index.php?mfo ... wtopic=801

Good luck,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Found this on BoatDiesel.com, hope it helps:

Section: Yanmar:LP Series
By: William Tallman [email]
Individual Member Level 1 Member

Topic: Yanmar 6LP zinc locations
Subject: Need some help please!! Trying to replace the eng
Date: March 18, 2006 08:52 AM
Viewed: 128 times
Need some help please!! Trying to replace the engine zincs on a 6LP and can only find 4. The shop manual I have do not show where the zincs are. I have replaced the zincs on the oil cooler, water cooler, intercooler and transmission oil cooler. Where does the 5th go? Thanks.

Top of this pageTop Previous MessagePrev. Next Reply to this MessageReply
Section: Yanmar:LP Series
Marine Power Ltd.
Corporate Member Level 3 Member
Deacons Boatyard, Bridge Road, Bursledon,Southampton, SO31 8AW,
United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)23 8040 3918, Fax: +44(0)23 8040 4491 , Email

Topic: Yanmar 6LP zinc locations
Subject: There is one large one in the inter-cooler (the ea
Date: March 18, 2006 09:24 AM
Viewed: 126 times
There is one large one in the inter-cooler (the easy one) two small ones in the oil cooler & two small ones in the heat exchanger (water cooler) one of these is in the rear end cap and is usually difficult to access and change. normally the anode will just push in past the flywheel housing but sometimes you have to move the cooler or take off the end cap. You may also have a small zincs in the fuel cooler and transmission oil cooler
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Yep, there's 5 all right. Thanks for the help guys!

Dave
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'll jump in and add that you need to change these out pretty regular, I just paid $1400.00 to have my heat exchanger cleaned out. There must have been a handfull of zinc pieces along with other "sea stuff". I was not overheating but was getting enough back pressure to cause some of the hoses to swell.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Yanmar 6LP Pencil Zincs - More Questions

Post by joe.baar »

I admit I haven't checked boatdiesel.com. Two questions I could not find answers to in the Yanmar owners manual: first, do I need to close any seacocks when changing these zincs and if so, which ones (1995 TE28 engine box); and second, is any sealant, lubricant or whatever needed on the threads when re-installing the plug with the new zinc? Thanks,
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

This is another thread I need to follow. Changing those pencil zincs is on my spring list. (the list is getting longer)
Last edited by jcollins on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

John I followed a previous thread this winter and bought them on line from zincs.com. They were very helpful and new exactly which ones I needed. If I had bought the ones listed in the manual thay would not have been correct. When I changed them out they were all the correct size. I think they showed up at my house in three days and I saved about 30% from the retail stores.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

zinc replacements

Post by fairtide »

Question: My boat was commissioned in July of 07 and winter stored since early Oct., therefore it has had a limited exposure to raw water, mostly brackish. Any suggestions on whether a change-out of zincs is necessary with this time in the water?
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

What did the rest of your zincs look like? If your boat is kept in a marina with many boats plugged into shore power they should at least be checked. My boat was commisioned in June and when I went to change them this spring some were ready and some showed no real effects but I changed them anyway. If you are in a private slip chances are they are OK unless the rest of your zincs were gone. I am by no means an expert but having kept boats in both enviornments this has been my experience.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

One thing I have learned about enginer zinc's, is when they are taken out to see what condition they are in you also need to check to see how firm they are. My mechanical pulled one of the zinc's on my engine and from a visual inspection it looked to be in good shape. He then took a pencil and stuck it into the end and it disintegrated in his hand. I think over time once exposed to salt water and staying in a damp environment they will just corrode.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”